Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Knoppix won't boot after HD install

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14

    Knoppix won't boot after HD install

    All right, I have a new problem. I've installed knoppix to my HD, but I can't get it to boot. It shows the NT bootloader and XP boots, but I can't see any sign of knoppix. I used the knoppix 3.7 installer and selected for lilo to be installed in MBR. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14
    Right. I looked in cfdisk and noticed that my windows partition was marked as bootable, my linux partition wasn't. Sould I just mark my linux partition as bootable? That may seem like a stupid question, but I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to screw anything up. Again, thanks for any help you can provide.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by ixalarx
    Right. I looked in cfdisk and noticed that my windows partition was marked as bootable, my linux partition wasn't. Sould I just mark my linux partition as bootable? That may seem like a stupid question, but I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to screw anything up. Again, thanks for any help you can provide.
    No, you don't want your linux partition set to bootable, lilo will boot it. It sounds like lilo did not install properly if the first screen you see is XP booting. Boot into your HD install from the CD with 'knoppix lang=us root=/dev/hda5 noinitrd ro' (replace hda5 with the correct partition for your install). Then check /etc/lilo.conf to see if it is correct. It should have 'boot=/dev/hda', an entry for knoppix and an entry for windows. Then open a console & 'sudo lilo' to try to install lilo from the HD install. Follow up on any error messages.

    One of the bugs in the hdinstaller is that if something goes wrong with the lilo install it doesn't report back to the user, it just continues on without installing lilo. One potential source of trouble is that the installer adds any cheatcodes in effect to the 'append=' line in lilo.conf & lilo sometimes doesn't like things repeated...like for instance if you are using the cheatcode 'vga=normal' this will conflict with the 'vga=791' which is part of the default lilo.conf.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14
    Okay, I checked the file and it looks fine, but when I ran lilo at the command line I got this output:

    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
    Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
    Added Linux *
    Added Linux(2.4)-1
    Added Linux(2.6)-2
    Warning: CHANGE AUTOMATIC assumed after "other=/dev/hda2"
    Device 0x0300: Inconsistent partition table, 2nd entry
    CHS address in PT: 619:0:1 --> LBA (9944235)
    LBA address in PT: 9359280 --> CHS (582:150:1)
    Fatal: Either FIX-TABLE or IGNORE-TABLE must be specified
    If not sure, first try IGNORE-TABLE (-P ignore)

    I have no clue what this means, but I hope it helps.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    31
    If not sure, first try IGNORE-TABLE (-P ignore)

    lilo -P ignor

    and reboot

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14
    I would have tried the lilo -P thing, but now when trying to boot from HD with the CD it doesn't start at all. It gets to
    "Running from HD, regenerate ld.so.cache and modules.dep..." then stops. The light on the case shows no HD activity. Am i pretty much screwed here?

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    31
    what do u get on boot is lilo now or still xp

    sorry have to leave

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14
    No, I'm using the CD to boot from the HD.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    31
    using the CD to boot from the HD.
    how
    fromhd
    or
    whith chroot


    and if you boot from your hd what's happend

    see your tomorrow

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14
    Sorry, I was pretty rushed and couldn't post very coherently. I'll just recap what happened. After reading your post about using lilo -P, I tried to boot using Crashed's instructions "knoppix lang=us root=/dev/hda5 noinitrd ro", but the booting seemed to stop after showing "Running from HD, regenerate ld.so.cache and modules.dep..." It still does not show anything while booting without the CD but the NT bootloader.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Install Knoppix in Dual Boot with XP
    By AlphaBluesMan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2006, 10:44 AM
  2. HD Install KNOPPIX 3.9, but PLEASE no boot loader
    By AgustinCordoba in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-20-2005, 04:43 PM
  3. boot a machine from a knoppix hd install
    By bigrobot in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 02:32 PM
  4. Install Pinguins on Knoppix without hdd boot
    By ku in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:41 PM
  5. Knoppix doesn't boot after knx-install
    By orvil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 02:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00