-
USB not recognized (n00b)
I just installed Knoppix 3.7 and have been futsing with it (with much help from this forum), but I seem to be having a big problem with my USB devices. Specifically, I have a Maxtor One-Touch 120GB drive that isn't being recognized. It's on all during bootup, and there are messages about Knoppix scanning for USB ports and finding them, but the scan (I forget the command off the top of my head) finds nothing on my USB ports (incl. my scanner and printer). I'm a complete n00b, and am really kind of clueless about what's going on here. Thanks in advance for your help on this.
-
Junior Member
registered user
first of all u have to create a directory in /mnt
just run in a terminal as root
mkdir usbhdd
after that you can mount ur harddisk
normally it should be on /dev/sda1 (since knoppix 3.7 it is on /dev/uba1 . i dont know why,but just try both)
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhdd
cd /mnt/usb
now u should be able to write on ur hdd
-
Ok. So I tried just mounting it like you said and couldn't get it to work. So I looked at my fstab and there was nothing about it. So I added a line. Here's my fstab:
/dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/sda1 mnt/sda1 auto rw,user,exec,sync
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda4 none swap defaults 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda5 none swap defaults 0 0
But it still won't mount. What am I doing wrong?
-
Anybody? I managed to figure out that it's "usbfs" and not "usbDEVfs" and I altered any instances I found in fstab and mtab, but it's still not recognizing my drive.
-
Nobody has anything? Am I supposed to put a pci=noapci tag in lilo.conf somewhere? If so where? Can someone please help me, this is getting really frustrating.
-
Junior Member
registered user
But the drive ISN'T usbfs, it's whatever file system your drive was formatted with.
That could be one problem.
You can also force mounting by logging in as root and trying
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
or
mount -t vfat /dev/uda1 /mnt/sda1
(to phraitz: that's a side effect of switching from the dev file system to udev, a new feature of the 2.6 Linux kernels)
the vfat option assumes your Maxtor drive was formatted as FAT or FAT32 in Windows. If it was formatted as NTFS you'll need to use Captive-NTFS or reformat the drive, because Linux has serious issues.
I notice that your modified fstab has /dev/sda1 mnt/sda1 auto rw,user,exec,sync
there should be a / before mnt -> /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
There's a program in the Utilities menu (second set of menus, just to be irritating) called USBview. Does that have any device that looks like your Maxtor hard disk? It should have Maxtor somewhere in the listing of a plugged in device. If not, your drive isn't being detected correctly after boot.
-
Junior Member
registered user
couldn't be that u find the usb mass storages on kernel 2.6.9 and higher in /dev/ubaX?
since knoppix 3.7(with kernel 2.6.9) my usb stick is located at /dev/uba1
i read in a german forum that they have changed the handling of usb drives , so that they aren't anymore scsi emulated
Similar Threads
-
By gburke1 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-09-2005, 03:39 AM
-
By The Conman in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 13
Last Post: 01-25-2005, 07:30 PM
-
By Knad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-10-2004, 09:48 PM
-
By blackout in forum General Support
Replies: 15
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 08:07 AM
-
By pcrage69 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 15
Last Post: 11-25-2003, 05:49 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM
$10.99

Samsung M393A2K43EB3-CWE 16GB (1x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 Server Memory
$89.99

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 RAM 3000MHz CMR16GX4M2C3000C16
$70.99

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)
$164.95

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$85.00

Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu
$399.95

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM
$37.99

P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N
$1100.00

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)
$129.99