Well, I found a few other avenues to try, that have been suggested to others that seem to have had similar issues. I'll give those a try next.
Can anyone suggest any other things I can try to get this darned PC to cooperate?
The boot CD recognizes EVERYTHING just fine. The network card is found and is configured properly. However, after installing to the hard drive, the network card cannot be found.
I run netcardconfig and it reports that no network card can be found. I run "kudzu -p" and the card is detected as a Realtek card with a 8139too driver.
I "modprobe 8139too", but nothing seems to happen. The command prompt returns with no inidication of any activity being done.
Again, when I pop in the CD and boot from that, everything is set up just fine.
Can anyone suggest how I can get Debian to "see" the card on eth0? Or, at least do some kind of override to indicate that eth0 is available?
I don't know if it makes a difference, but this PC is an HP Pavilion model.
Well, I found a few other avenues to try, that have been suggested to others that seem to have had similar issues. I'll give those a try next.
I had the same problem. The eth0 was detected, but the DHCP was not looking for an IP address.
Don't ask my why, but I went in to the /etc/init.... / modules script and manually editied it as posted elsewhere on the forum. Now, netcardconfig still cannot detect any network card to configure but network access is available none-the-less.
Synaptic, Mozilla, Konqueror, etc. can all access the web. But, as far as netcardconfig is concerned, there's no network card.![]()

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92
IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED
$165.00
IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00
IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER
$349.99
Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$250.00