Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Does Knoppix support file transfers through a network? L00k&

  1. #11
    Not to let this thread die -

    As far as I can tell, I have my LAN setup correctly (it's using a router, and I can see the knoppix pc in the DHCP list, access the router from the knoppix, etc) but smb://[computername]/[sharename] doesn't seem to be working. I've gone to the Knoppix->services->Start Samba server, so that should be running.

    And of course, as my name implies, I'm openly noobish about this.

    EDIT: I guess I never asked a question

    Anyone know why I should be able to be on the router and yet not see either computer's shares? Unfortunately ping is broken on my windows pc (transmit error code 65, whatever that means) and I don't know the equivalent command for knoppix, so I can't check that.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    9
    Well then if that doesn't work I'll just burn a few CD's to backup the material.

    As mentioned before, you say that I'd make copies if this material was any importance to me. Problem is, it's my dad's computer and what he backs up is his own decision.

  3. #13
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000thLinuxNoob
    EDIT: I guess I never asked a question

    Anyone know why I should be able to be on the router and yet not see either computer's shares? Unfortunately ping is broken on my windows pc (transmit error code 65, whatever that means) and I don't know the equivalent command for knoppix, so I can't check that.
    you're gonna love this. The equivalent command for knoppix to ping is ping.

    You may have firewall issues if you can't ping to or from windows. Try pinging your router from Knoppix. When that works, try pinging Windows. Then fix Windows until ping works.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    110

    Run Knoppix as command line on the problem computer

    I have done this on my boxes and for a friend about a week ago.

    Boot Knoppix on the bad box, using knoppix 2 which forces command line.

    enter sambastart as a single command and then establish a password for knoppix and mount all drives r/w.

    For simplicity sake set your workgroup to WORKGROUP on the windows machines. This is easier than changing the samba configuration.
    On a new XP machine, the default workgroup is MSHOME if my memory is correct.

    You will find the drives available on KnoppixShare or some such from windows computers on the network.

    Since you are reaching out, this avoids the firewall problems on the windows machines. Mine XP notebook is recalcitant on shares even coming in or attempting to, from an operating W2K system

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    9
    Knoppix 3.7 was really fine! It totally transferred the files to another computer, and then I was able to format the "bad" comp's HD and reinstall Windows XP.

    THANKS KNOPPIX!!!!!!!

  6. #16
    Hehe, I similarly had a suddon revelation - instead of the various esoteric things, I just tried putting in ///[computername]/[sharename] into konqueror as soon as I had booted up, and wouldn't you know it worked perfectly Never did find out what I was doing wrong.

    Thanks for taking the time to respond though rcook!

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    9
    You don't use Knoppix as your primary operating system, do you?

  8. #18
    No, I primarily use Win XP. We have some software at work which is win-only, so I'm afraid it's not practical (yeah, wine, I know, but they said no ).

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    9
    So basically you are saying you use Knoppix for repairing an Operating system or something like that?

    I love Knoppix so much, though, for how helpful it has been.

  10. #20
    At the moment yes I use it primarily for that - though I must admit the relative simplicity and straightforwardness of KDE has perked my interest, and I'd been kind of sick with Windows on my home computer at least...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Add file system support
    By bdn103 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 02:56 PM
  2. PSP file transfers?
    By jason_pine in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-02-2005, 04:21 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 10:05 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2003, 04:04 PM
  5. Default KNOPPIX Download - No Network Support
    By LinuxDistros.CJB.NET in forum Networking
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-10-2003, 12:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$739.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00