So your home partition wasn't on the usb-key when you created the text file?
Try it again and remember to type "knoppix home=scan" or "knoppix home=/dev/sda1" (if you have no other scsi devices) at the boot prompt first.
I tried to create a persistent home directory on a USB-key under Knoppix 3.7. I used the the button ( script) Knoppix > Configure > Create a persistent KNOPPIX Home directory. After that I check the contains of the USB-key. I have a new file on it it seem to be a knoppix.img. I decide to test the persistent home directory by creating a text file in the home directory and I reboot the machine. At the boot prompt I type this "knoppix home=scan". After the boot my text file is not in the home directory but the knoppix.img is already on my USB-key.
What is the problem?
Thank you
So your home partition wasn't on the usb-key when you created the text file?
Try it again and remember to type "knoppix home=scan" or "knoppix home=/dev/sda1" (if you have no other scsi devices) at the boot prompt first.

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$949.00
Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop
$40.00
Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99
Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$59.99
Samsung 860 Pro 256GB V-NAND SATA Solid State Drive SSD MZ-76P256 MZ7KH256HAHQ
$49.95
SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed
$42.00