I'm new to this but, when yo'ure at text mode type....
startx
And it should go to graphical mode (i think)
worth a try
I was screwing around with a Knoppix HD installation on my PC, and i changed the desktop, now it only boots up in text mode, how can i get it to boot back into KDE?
I'm new to this but, when yo'ure at text mode type....
startx
And it should go to graphical mode (i think)
worth a try
i received errors when i did that, reguardless of whether i was Root user or not. error is as follows:
fatal server error
no screens found
XIO: fatal IO erro 1104 connection reset by peer.
Try 'init 5' or 'kdm' as root.
If this doesn't work your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is probably broken.
when i use kdm the screen goes blank and then comes back to a command line again, same when i do init 5.
heres what i did originally, i was in KDE, and i selected the menu option to "change/configure desktop environment" or window manager, something to that effect, well, i changed it and restarted i cant remember what i set it to, but when i boot up, it just comes to a login in text mode.
I have two more ideas:
1) In '/etc/inittab' should be a line saying something like (I'm currently at a SuSE-Linux system):
Check if this is set to runlevel 5.# The default runlevel is defined here
id:5:initdefault:
2) In your homedirectory should be a file named '.xinitrc' or '.xsession' (it depends on the distro which file is used). It should contain the following line:
But I'm not really sure if this will work. What does your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 "Device" Section say?exec startkde
I probably can't help, I'm rather new to linux and very new to debian
Are you getting a graphical login screen that won't login?
I had a problem where the (default) login option (desktop/windowManager choice)
wouldn't work, It just flickered straight back to the login screen, yet I could start a session textwise.
Also 'startX' 'kdm' ,would not work for me - errors, or the flicker.
However, when I changed the default choice, to any of the WindowManagers, it would login perfect!
I havn't looked to see where/what the problem is, I just make sure that the WM is set to kde3 and all is graphic!
As I said, hope it helps, it sounds as though you arn't even getting a graphic login.
have a nice day
![]()
![]()
![]()

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules
$599.00
Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99
Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99
Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99
Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86
Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p
$99.99
Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00
Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99