Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: K3D burning

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13

    K3D burning

    I only have the knoppix live CD, because it won't install to the HD properly....anyway, I want to burn DAmnSmallLinux to a CD, but the only way I can do that is with K3D.... but I can't take the knoppix CD out to put a blank CD in can I?
    What am I supposed to do? How do I burn damnsmalllinux to CD using knoppix? I only have like 256mb Ram, what am I supposed to do?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: K3D burning

    Quote Originally Posted by Guider
    I only have the knoppix live CD, because it won't install to the HD properly....anyway, I want to burn DAmnSmallLinux to a CD, but the only way I can do that is with K3D.... but I can't take the knoppix CD out to put a blank CD in can I?
    What am I supposed to do? How do I burn damnsmalllinux to CD using knoppix? I only have like 256mb Ram, what am I supposed to do?
    Generally people use a different OS, like windows. You only have Knoppix and not Windows and you have no OS installed at all on the hard disk?

    It's not clear from this how you managed to burn your Knoppix CD. You could certainly install Debian and burn DSL with that. I would think you would want some form of OS installed on the hard drive (this is one reason for that). You might also consider adding another CD drive (CD-ROM drives are dirt cheap now, even CDRW drives are extremely inexpensive, some times either are freee after rebates), particularly if you are going to keep running from CD's.

    Also, you might consider having some friends and having one of them burn DSL for you. If that's not an option, you can buy a copy of DSL. Since it's small enough to install "toram" that should help you burn CD's. (although I'm not sure if the DSL burning program supports burning from ISO files or not).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    126
    Have you tried to install Knoppix to the hard drive using knoppix-installer, or a command such as knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1, or both?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Next post. Sorry double posted.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: K3D burning

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    (although I'm not sure if the DSL burning program supports burning from ISO files or not).
    DSL uses cdrecord which k3b is just a frontend to (as well as to others), so yes, you can burn an iso with DSL:
    cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc driveropts=burnfree,noforcespeed fs=14M speed=12 -dao -eject -overburn -v filename.iso (check the device)
    or even just: cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc speed=4 -eject -v filename.iso

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Earf
    Posts
    17

    Re: K3D burning

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    (although I'm not sure if the DSL burning program supports burning from ISO files or not).
    DSL uses cdrecord which k3b is just a frontend to (as well as to others), so yes, you can burn an iso with DSL:
    cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc driveropts=burnfree,noforcespeed fs=14M speed=12 -dao -eject -overburn -v filename.iso (check the device)
    or even just: cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc speed=4 -eject -v filename.iso
    To use cdrecord in DSL, you'll need the to use the CD burner. If the CD burner is the only CD drive in the machine, the DSL CD will be using it. When you boot DSL, use the boot option

    dsl toram

    along with any other boot options you may use. This will load the image into RAM and let you eject the CD and have it available for use to burn your CD.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13
    I would have to burn DSL first though.... which I can't.....

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    You could try installing knoppix as a 'poorman's install' which would then run off the HD leaving the CD drive free. Or , the latest kanotix has a 'fromiso' cheatcode which I think will run a copy of the iso file located on the HD; ie not an actual install...should just be able to run the downloaded iso without having to burn a CD first.

  10. #10
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: K3D burning

    Quote Originally Posted by green1
    To use cdrecord in DSL, you'll need the to use the CD burner. If the CD burner is the only CD drive in the machine, the DSL CD will be using it. When you boot DSL, use the boot option

    dsl toram
    This is the best way to do it, and I did mention toram in my last post. There is another way to deal with it with only one CD drive, and that is to burn the DSL iso as the first session of a multi-session CD. You can then write all of your files to a second session while the CD is still in the drive (about 650 meg remains available on a typical 700 meg CDR). The resulting CD will no longer be bootable, but it will have the recovered files on it, and all will have been done without the toram option.

    None of this, of course, helps a person who can't burn a CD to start with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. dvd burning @ 1X
    By tmarr04 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-16-2005, 07:47 PM
  2. burning help
    By pLanetZ in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 04:36 PM
  3. CD burning
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 10:01 PM
  4. burning to cd
    By InsaneLampshade in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 09:36 PM
  5. K3B CD Burning
    By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key picture

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key

$829.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU

$99.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$693.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99