Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Root Password - yes I read the sticky and the FAQ

  1. #1

    Root Password - yes I read the sticky and the FAQ

    I have the
    "Apparently, however, in some versions of Knoppix, if you type 'sudo -s', it will ask for a password. If you simply press return without entering anything, it will tell you 'Authentication Failed."
    problem.

    I have a notebook with no floppy or CD. I have used Knoppix on another computer to Netboot the notebook and that all goes fine and dandy. I now want to execute the installation script to get Knoppix onto the HD. I need to be root but root won't play. su, sudo, root terminal etc all fail. I have tried 2.4 and 2.6 kernel. The download checks out and root works fine on the server PC.

    Anyone got any ideas? I seem to be somewhat stuck at this point. I'm using 3.7, has anyone done this with one of the other releases? if so whch one should I try.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    It is possible that the netboot scripts disable root access as a security feature. I have only used netboot, umm Knoppix Terminal server using PXE boot right??, once and that was only prove to me that it worked. I do faintly remember not being able to su or sudo.
    Sorry I can't be of much help.
    James

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    It is possible that the netboot scripts disable root access as a security feature. James
    That's what I wondered too. I kicked off a download of clusterknoppix (which says it provides root to all the clients) about 15 minutes ago. Another 30 minutes to go before I can find out though. I suspect that the install scripts have been removed from that one so I may be into roll your own territory.

    I have trawled the net for the last couple of days and there seem to be plenty of people suggesting using Knoppix-terminalserver to install to a CD/Floppy less system. I wonder how many people have actually done it though. Ah well I'll get there in the end.

    Thanks for the suggestions

  4. #4

    Problem resolved

    As UnderScore suggested root is disabled on a netboot from knoppix-terminalserver. I used a copy of clusterknoppix which has the option to enable root on the client computer. That let me execute knoppix-installer and I now have a bootable install on the notebook HD. It's been a painfull process getting there but unbelievably simple when the ducks lined up.

    I'll add a feature request to have a root enable in the standard knoppix-terminalserver.

Similar Threads

  1. How can I set a root password????
    By oganika in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 07:12 PM
  2. password problems (i've read the sticky)
    By invictius in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 04:30 PM
  3. Root password
    By SurfThaNet in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 03:54 PM
  4. WHY IS THERE NO PASSWORD FOR ROOT!?!?!?!
    By blaxe in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 04:00 PM
  5. Root password
    By DavidTempler in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95