-
Junior Member
registered user
K3D burning
I only have the knoppix live CD, because it won't install to the HD properly....anyway, I want to burn DAmnSmallLinux to a CD, but the only way I can do that is with K3D.... but I can't take the knoppix CD out to put a blank CD in can I?
What am I supposed to do? How do I burn damnsmalllinux to CD using knoppix? I only have like 256mb Ram, what am I supposed to do?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: K3D burning

Originally Posted by
Guider
I only have the knoppix live CD, because it won't install to the HD properly....anyway, I want to burn DAmnSmallLinux to a CD, but the only way I can do that is with K3D.... but I can't take the knoppix CD out to put a blank CD in can I?
What am I supposed to do? How do I burn damnsmalllinux to CD using knoppix? I only have like 256mb Ram, what am I supposed to do?
Generally people use a different OS, like windows. You only have Knoppix and not Windows and you have no OS installed at all on the hard disk?
It's not clear from this how you managed to burn your Knoppix CD. You could certainly install Debian and burn DSL with that. I would think you would want some form of OS installed on the hard drive (this is one reason for that). You might also consider adding another CD drive (CD-ROM drives are dirt cheap now, even CDRW drives are extremely inexpensive, some times either are freee after rebates), particularly if you are going to keep running from CD's.
Also, you might consider having some friends and having one of them burn DSL for you. If that's not an option, you can buy a copy of DSL. Since it's small enough to install "toram" that should help you burn CD's. (although I'm not sure if the DSL burning program supports burning from ISO files or not).
-
Senior Member
registered user
Have you tried to install Knoppix to the hard drive using knoppix-installer, or a command such as knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1, or both?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Next post. Sorry double posted.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Re: K3D burning

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
(although I'm not sure if the DSL burning program supports burning from ISO files or not).
DSL uses cdrecord which k3b is just a frontend to (as well as to others), so yes, you can burn an iso with DSL:
cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc driveropts=burnfree,noforcespeed fs=14M speed=12 -dao -eject -overburn -v filename.iso (check the device)
or even just: cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc speed=4 -eject -v filename.iso
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: K3D burning

Originally Posted by
Markus

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
(although I'm not sure if the DSL burning program supports burning from ISO files or not).
DSL uses cdrecord which k3b is just a frontend to (as well as to others), so yes, you can burn an iso with DSL:
cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc driveropts=burnfree,noforcespeed fs=14M speed=12 -dao -eject -overburn -v filename.iso (check the device)
or even just: cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc speed=4 -eject -v filename.iso
To use cdrecord in DSL, you'll need the to use the CD burner. If the CD burner is the only CD drive in the machine, the DSL CD will be using it. When you boot DSL, use the boot option
dsl toram
along with any other boot options you may use. This will load the image into RAM and let you eject the CD and have it available for use to burn your CD.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I would have to burn DSL first though.... which I can't.....
-
Senior Member
registered user
You could try installing knoppix as a 'poorman's install' which would then run off the HD leaving the CD drive free. Or , the latest kanotix has a 'fromiso' cheatcode which I think will run a copy of the iso file located on the HD; ie not an actual install...should just be able to run the downloaded iso without having to burn a CD first.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: K3D burning

Originally Posted by
green1
To use cdrecord in DSL, you'll need the to use the CD burner. If the CD burner is the only CD drive in the machine, the DSL CD will be using it. When you boot DSL, use the boot option
dsl toram
This is the best way to do it, and I did mention toram in my last post. There is another way to deal with it with only one CD drive, and that is to burn the DSL iso as the first session of a multi-session CD. You can then write all of your files to a second session while the CD is still in the drive (about 650 meg remains available on a typical 700 meg CDR). The resulting CD will no longer be bootable, but it will have the recovered files on it, and all will have been done without the toram option.
None of this, of course, helps a person who can't burn a CD to start with.
Similar Threads
-
By tmarr04 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-16-2005, 07:47 PM
-
By pLanetZ in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-21-2004, 04:36 PM
-
By sn0wflake in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-31-2004, 10:01 PM
-
By InsaneLampshade in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-01-2003, 09:36 PM
-
By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung T5 EVO 4TB Portable SSD USB 3.2 External
$300.00

Samsung T7 Portable SSD (MU-PC2T0T) 2TB Gray USB-C
$252.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 FE 10.9" 128GB WiFi SM-X510 Silver - Read Description
$170.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+Plus 5G 2026 128GB GRAY
$168.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

(Lot Of 10) 8GB DDR4 RAM 1Rx8 SODIMM Laptop Memory Mix Speed Mix Brand
$299.99

Samsung LS32A700NWNXZA 4K UHD LED Monitor 32" A700 Series with HDR, Black
$200.00