Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Small Problems upon Finish - Missing menus!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4

    Small Problems upon Finish - Missing menus!

    I'm not a newbie to Linux by any means and I know my way around a command shell with ease, but I'm having some trouble remastering my CD. This is my first time doing this activity, and I must say its been kinda fun in a geeky way. Anyway, I need some help with the following two small (probably) problems. Before I get ahead of myself, let me say that all help is appreciated in advance. Also, some info on what I'm doing.

    I am trying to remaster Knoppix-STD (a particular distro for security tools) which is basically the exact same as Knoppix with the addition of specific tools for network security, forensics and system maintenance. It uses, and so do I, Fluxbox instead of KDE. Its just smaller and faster, so I will use it too.

    1) My menu settings for Fluxbox are not coming through the burn. The file is correct in /etc/skel/.fluxbox and the permissions are root:root. I never messed with these until I realized that they weren't working, and then never changed a permission or anything, so it should be identical from the distro CD. Am I missing something here??

    2) I tried to use apt-get to install Firefox, but it fails. I'm doing the install from a command line withing SuSE 9.2 (which could be the problem), but it fails with an error regarding --configure in the script.

    I only have these two problems, which drives me crazy because everything else, down to the actual burn, works! Please help where you can. I appreciate it.

    Eddie

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    47

    Re: Small Problems upon Finish - Missing menus!

    Quote Originally Posted by eddieroger
    1) My menu settings for Fluxbox are not coming through the burn. The file is correct in /etc/skel/.fluxbox and the permissions are root:root. I never messed with these until I realized that they weren't working, and then never changed a permission or anything, so it should be identical from the distro CD. Am I missing something here??
    Eddie
    Please follow the discussion under the HOWTO of remastering knoppix with menu based scripts.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4
    I have read up on the scripts, and just started my whole remaster over specifically to use the scripts, even though part of me feels like its cheating, but whatever. The problem is I get an error when trying to load the CD from the scripts. It gives me a read error no matter which disc I use. Its the same error as I get when trying to load with the option "toram". It boots just fine from the disc, and in fact the disc is a new burn of the original ISO. Any suggesetions?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieroger
    I have read up on the scripts, and just started my whole remaster over specifically to use the scripts, even though part of me feels like its cheating, but whatever. The problem is I get an error when trying to load the CD from the scripts. It gives me a read error no matter which disc I use. Its the same error as I get when trying to load with the option "toram". It boots just fine from the disc, and in fact the disc is a new burn of the original ISO. Any suggesetions?
    Have you tried to copy the files manually using the commands given in the orginal customization FAQ at the knoppix.net site?

    Try them. I've customized my knoppix version entirly using the contents of that orginal FAQ.

Similar Threads

  1. Doesn't Finish Booting
    By krb in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 10:41 PM
  2. 2 Small problems....
    By jentybhullar in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 04:12 AM
  3. A small problem...err....problems...
    By Castershell in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 05:45 AM
  4. Damn Small Linux remastering problems
    By TyphoonMentat in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 09:24 AM
  5. Knoppix PPC Will Not Finish Booting
    By iStudent 2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 09:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel Core Ultra 7 265K CPU Desktop Processor LGA 1851 20-Core - New picture

Intel Core Ultra 7 265K CPU Desktop Processor LGA 1851 20-Core - New

$284.79



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-9700 3.00 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SRG13 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.00 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SRG13

$79.99



AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad

$355.99



USED - Intel Core i7-13700 SRMBA 2.10GHz 30M 16-Core Socket 1700 CPU Processor picture

USED - Intel Core i7-13700 SRMBA 2.10GHz 30M 16-Core Socket 1700 CPU Processor

$250.00