Please follow the discussion under the HOWTO of remastering knoppix with menu based scripts.Originally Posted by eddieroger
I'm not a newbie to Linux by any means and I know my way around a command shell with ease, but I'm having some trouble remastering my CD. This is my first time doing this activity, and I must say its been kinda fun in a geeky way. Anyway, I need some help with the following two small (probably) problems. Before I get ahead of myself, let me say that all help is appreciated in advance. Also, some info on what I'm doing.
I am trying to remaster Knoppix-STD (a particular distro for security tools) which is basically the exact same as Knoppix with the addition of specific tools for network security, forensics and system maintenance. It uses, and so do I, Fluxbox instead of KDE. Its just smaller and faster, so I will use it too.
1) My menu settings for Fluxbox are not coming through the burn. The file is correct in /etc/skel/.fluxbox and the permissions are root:root. I never messed with these until I realized that they weren't working, and then never changed a permission or anything, so it should be identical from the distro CD. Am I missing something here??
2) I tried to use apt-get to install Firefox, but it fails. I'm doing the install from a command line withing SuSE 9.2 (which could be the problem), but it fails with an error regarding --configure in the script.
I only have these two problems, which drives me crazy because everything else, down to the actual burn, works! Please help where you can. I appreciate it.
Eddie
Please follow the discussion under the HOWTO of remastering knoppix with menu based scripts.Originally Posted by eddieroger
I have read up on the scripts, and just started my whole remaster over specifically to use the scripts, even though part of me feels like its cheating, but whatever. The problem is I get an error when trying to load the CD from the scripts. It gives me a read error no matter which disc I use. Its the same error as I get when trying to load with the option "toram". It boots just fine from the disc, and in fact the disc is a new burn of the original ISO. Any suggesetions?
Have you tried to copy the files manually using the commands given in the orginal customization FAQ at the knoppix.net site?Originally Posted by eddieroger
Try them. I've customized my knoppix version entirly using the contents of that orginal FAQ.

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00
2026 SGIN 15.6" Laptop Intel Core i3 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Win 11 Backlit Keyboard
$335.99