-
Screen resolution issue
I recently got a copy of Knoppix and am running it off a CD.
At first it wouldn't run at all, giving me a blank screen. I soon discovered I could manually set the screen resolution lower using one of the knoppix startup cheat codes and make it run. I currently am typing
knoppix screen=640x480 vsync=70 depth=16
to make it run. Unfortunately, this resolution is pretty poor, and sometimes applications in the KDE have buttons at the bottom of windows that I thus can't move the mouse to to click on. Those buttons are below the visible screen.
I have an S3 ProSavage DDR graphics card, which is an onboard graphics card. My system has Windows XP installed on it, and the resolution runs much better on XP. (1080 X something if I remember right).
Whenever I try anything higher for screen resolution on the cheat codes, I get a blank screen. Messing with vsync and depth so far hasn't helped. Sometimes the monitor explicitly prints "Out of range" and recommends reading the manual for documentation. I've also tried vga=normal which didn't work.
I'm guessing it's a graphics card problem, but I can't know for sure. Someone else told me it could likewise be a monitor problem for all I know.
Is there any way to fix the problem with the hardware I have, or do I need to buy something else?
Thanks,
qb45man
Similar Threads
-
By firekatd in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2006, 06:53 PM
-
By kallumama in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-06-2005, 04:37 PM
-
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 01:38 AM
-
By dblinick in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-27-2004, 11:54 AM
-
By sanjay in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-22-2003, 06:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A
$89.95

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Lot 500 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Registered Server Memory RAM
$47988.00

Advantech Memory Modules 8G DDR4-2400 1GX8 1.2V HYX AQD-D4U8GN24-HE LOT OF 12
$399.99

Lot of 5 - Mixed Brands 40GB (5x8GB) DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Non-ECC
$150.00

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$85.00