-
Boot hangs just before Penguin display...
Hope someone can help.
I was given an old Sony Vaio PCG-C1VE, no floppy or CD, 112MB of Ram, camera, USB, PCMCIA, Firewire, letter-box shaped screen (1280x480), Crusoe cpu, runs Windows ME. It has a 12GB disk partitioned as an 8GB C: drive and a 4GB D: drive.
I thought it would be nice to be able to run Knoppix on it. I have a working v3.3 CD and I've managed to put the big KNOPPIX file onto the D: drive in a directory called KNOPPIX (I used a borrowed USB CD drive; can't boot from it however). I've also made a boot floppy on another machine and copied all the files to D:\BOOT (I had to go via the internet for that one).
I then patched WinME so that I can boot into Real-Dos mode with a nice little boot menu, and I downloaded Loadlin v1.6 and put that into D:\BOOT too.
So far so good.
So I power on, my (not Knoppix's) boot menu displays, I go into DOS and enter commands like:-
Code:
D:
cd BOOT
loadlin vmlinuz initrd=miniroot.gz init=/etc/init lang=en mem=112M ramdisk_size=100000 vga=ask <various other options>
I *think* it then successfully loads vmlinuz and miniroot.gz (I see lots of dots briefly then the screen clears) and, because I've specified vga=ask, I get a little text menu offering about 8 possible modes (80x24, etc...). The problem is that, no matter what mode I set, the screen then blanks and nothing else happens. No disk activity, nothing.
What I *believe* should happen is that I get the Penguin logo at the top left followed by a set of messages about hardware auto-detect etc.
I've tried quite a lot of various options (based on the Knoppix cheat codes; noapm, noacpi, nodma, noscsi, etc) but nothing seems to make any difference. I'd be very grateful for suggestions.
Thanks for your time, Alan
Similar Threads
-
By mando327 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-05-2006, 10:28 PM
-
By Joren in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-03-2005, 09:04 PM
-
By Download-This in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-18-2004, 06:36 PM
-
By mentalalien2002 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-01-2004, 01:09 AM
-
By Bieren in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-10-2003, 08:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$125.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$136.15

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$199.00

Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) -
$60.00

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US
$41.30

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00