-
need help with getting on net and infrared detection
hi i have a HP pavilion zt3000 and i just started with knoppix 3.2 and i have a built in modem in my laptop and when i try to go on the net it says my modem is busy so i can't go on the net. and i was also wondering if anyone knows how to get knoppix to pick up my infrared port so i can use it. i don't know a whole lot bout comps either so simple help would be good. thank you
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi,
the first step is to find out which infrared chip your computer has built in. To find out, enter
You can use the results to search on goole, in this forum or ask more specifically again.
For my VAIO, I have:
NSC,PC87338,11.2,0x398,0x3e8,0x3e8,10,0,1,0,1
and I can get it to work with:
Code:
# for Sony VAIO
setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 10 port 0x3e8
# this is fot FIR to work, don't use this for SIR
setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart none
# to use the FIR driver
modprobe nsc-ircc dongle_id=0x09
# brings up irda0 network device
irattach irda0 -s
# The following devices are in range:
cat /proc/net/irda/discovery
Greetings,
probono
-

Originally Posted by
probono
the first step is to find out which infrared chip your computer has built in. To find out, enter
When is infrared (IRDA) going to be totally plug-and-play in knoppix? (I don't want to mess with drivers)
Anyone working on this?
I'd like to be able to insert the knoppix CD, get to the desktop and be able to send and receive files from my IRDA phone directly from konqueror. Is that already possible?
Do you know any distro that has IRDA plug-and-play?
Come on guys MSWin has IRDA plug-and-play please don't like behind that piece of crap!
How may I help to get there?
-
Didn't work for me
I'm trying this on a Dell Inspiron 510m, and I've made sure the IR is enabled in the BIOS settings (disabled by default). However when I run findchip it comes up with nothing.
According to XP it's got an "SMC IrCC Fast Infrared Port", but even when I do "findchip -dv SMC" it just says "wrong chip".
In dmesg it says "ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq=3) is a 16550A", but when I try a modprobe it fails saying possibly the IO or IRQ settings are wrong...
By the way, you mention dongle_id, I assume you only need that if you're using an adaptor to the serial port, not a built-in IR sensor?
Similar Threads
-
By g6con in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-30-2005, 10:49 PM
-
By dr_rude in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-14-2004, 03:02 AM
-
By dr_rude in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-08-2004, 03:27 AM
-
By Sven in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-10-2004, 05:02 AM
-
By staverts in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 06:48 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99