-
Thanks for the info atrick -- especially that forum which I hadn't seen before.
I am, of course, trying to do this on a tight (nil) budget so I'm not keen to buy any equipment. My latest idea is to remove the disk from the Vaio and use a USB drive caddie, that I can borrow from work, to connect it to my desktop. Then I should be able to run Knoppix on the desktop and issue lilo config commands for the notebook disk (I hope).
It all sounds very dodgy but at least once I get the notebook disk connected to my desktop I can also backup the existing partitions before potentially destroying them.
It's a shame I haven't been able to get Loadlin to work. My recent investigations have led me to the conclusion that either:
a) Loadlin is hanging during some sort of cpou mode switch
b) Loading of vmlinuz or initrd.gz is overwriting some special I/O buffer or address
c) There is some sort of device being probed very early on in the startup which hangs for Knoppix
I have heard rumours that the PCG-C1VE disk may be hard to extract and may not fit a standard laptop disk caddie. I'm also not 100% sure I know how to configure that disk using lilo so that when I put it back in the Vaio it will boot into either Dos (on the C: partition) or compressed Knoppix (stored on the D: partition).
Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Alan
Similar Threads
-
By mando327 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-05-2006, 10:28 PM
-
By Joren in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-03-2005, 09:04 PM
-
By Download-This in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-18-2004, 06:36 PM
-
By mentalalien2002 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-01-2004, 01:09 AM
-
By Bieren in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-10-2003, 08:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

HP ProLiant 460 Series G7 Blade 2x Xeon E5649 2.53Ghz w/ 16Gb DR3, No HD, QTY
$74.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60