Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How to compile

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22

    How to compile

    I'm new to linux, and just trying to learn the basic stuff.... I'm trying to add some screensavers, and i went to download this screensaver package

    http://www.linuxhotbox.com/fun/Linux...savers%201.htm

    the "Really Slick Screensaver" Package

    I download it and it gives me a vague readme

    I run the configure script and it runs through a bunch of crap then I'm guessing I need to make the installation then install??? But when i tried to open/run the MakeFile.in from terminal it kept giving me permissions denied errors, I was logged in as root.... Am I doing anythign wrong? Cna somebody help me out here... I feel like a retard....

  2. #2
    Sounds like you are trying to execute the makefile.in file. You might have missed a step. Usual sequence is along the lines
    config
    make
    make install

    you might have missed out make. Probably only the make install needs to be executed as root

    I haven't looked at the package so this is a guess but might help. have fun

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22
    Yea it is config, make, make install

    but how the eff do I make? lol, sorry for such a newb question.... but im completely clueless at this point.... i did config, but dont know how to run the make command

  4. #4
    just type make. Oh and hit the enter key Make will look in the current directory for makefile.in, so if config has doen it's job it will spring into action.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22
    wow, thats easy?! i feel like a friggin dumbass..... so i just get configure running.... then once it finishes, just type make.... nothing else? and itll run? AWESOME

  6. #6
    That's the theory Of course the programmer may have decide to add a thousand options to be passed to Make and you'll spend the rest of the night fighting with it.

    Good luck.

    Don't forget to su to root for the 'make install'

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22
    awesome, thanks for the help.... ill try it once i get home

Similar Threads

  1. GTK Compile Error
    By Jamesc359 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 12:37 AM
  2. Kernel compile 2.6.6 - only once?
    By davros4269 in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 08:49 AM
  3. how to compile with gcc 2.95
    By mu664life in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 12:27 PM
  4. Drive Compile
    By csx_pilot in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2004, 05:08 AM
  5. Kernel compile problem - first Knoppix kernel compile
    By Nigel_Tufnel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Intel H2000 4 Node H2216XXKR, 2x 1600w PSU HPC Server Chassis 16x 2.5

Intel H2000 4 Node H2216XXKR, 2x 1600w PSU HPC Server Chassis 16x 2.5"

$199.99



Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Blade | 7X16 | 01KP356 | Drives and RAM not included picture

Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Blade | 7X16 | 01KP356 | Drives and RAM not included

$299.99