-
Junior Member
registered user
How to compile
I'm new to linux, and just trying to learn the basic stuff.... I'm trying to add some screensavers, and i went to download this screensaver package
http://www.linuxhotbox.com/fun/Linux...savers%201.htm
the "Really Slick Screensaver" Package
I download it and it gives me a vague readme
I run the configure script and it runs through a bunch of crap then I'm guessing I need to make the installation then install??? But when i tried to open/run the MakeFile.in from terminal it kept giving me permissions denied errors, I was logged in as root.... Am I doing anythign wrong? Cna somebody help me out here... I feel like a retard....
-
Sounds like you are trying to execute the makefile.in file. You might have missed a step. Usual sequence is along the lines
config
make
make install
you might have missed out make. Probably only the make install needs to be executed as root
I haven't looked at the package so this is a guess but might help. have fun
-
Junior Member
registered user
Yea it is config, make, make install
but how the eff do I make? lol, sorry for such a newb question.... but im completely clueless at this point.... i did config, but dont know how to run the make command
-
just type make. Oh and hit the enter key
Make will look in the current directory for makefile.in, so if config has doen it's job it will spring into action.
-
Junior Member
registered user
wow, thats easy?! i feel like a friggin dumbass..... so i just get configure running.... then once it finishes, just type make.... nothing else? and itll run? AWESOME
-
That's the theory
Of course the programmer may have decide to add a thousand options to be passed to Make and you'll spend the rest of the night fighting with it.
Good luck.
Don't forget to su to root for the 'make install'
-
Junior Member
registered user
awesome, thanks for the help.... ill try it once i get home
Similar Threads
-
By Jamesc359 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-26-2005, 12:37 AM
-
By davros4269 in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 07-23-2004, 08:49 AM
-
By mu664life in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 12:27 PM
-
By csx_pilot in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-04-2004, 05:08 AM
-
By Nigel_Tufnel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$354.48

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX
$149.99