Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How Do I Install New Software in Knoppix?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3

    How Do I Install New Software in Knoppix?

    I'm excusing to all moderators and everyone in this forum for this question, but I did not find a topic or solution.
    I'm a Newbie here, and in Linux also.


    Please, can you help me?

    Thank you in advance!

    __________________________________________________ _____________________

    How Will I Laugh Tomorrow ... When I Can't Even Smile Today!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    apt-get
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap.../index.en.html

    .debs
    www.debian.org

    from source
    -all over the web

    There are other too.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3

    Some other applications...

    I mean, I've downloaded tar.gz application, followed the descriptions, but I get error messages something like "this folder is read-only".

    The whole point of my operation is to localize the distribution, and this program wants to inscript itself into system directories. But they are on CD!
    How can I overcome this problem?
    Only by installing Knoppix to HDD?

    In the help of program is written, that it can be installed in user mode too.
    I've created Home directory on my HDD, so it's open for read/write.
    The program is bglinux-4.3.tar.gz.

    Do you understand me?

    __________________________________________________ _____________________

    How Will I Laugh Tomorrow ... When I Can't Even Smile Today!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Oh I see- yes of course the cd is read-only. You can remaster the cd to include software you want, you can save some things in "persistent home" but I am not overly familiar with it as I do not boot from cd. You can also load some things from floppy on boot. I am probably not the best source of advice/info on this subject because I use a hard drive installation. You could do searches for "knoppix.sh" "persistent home" and "remastering", in fact you could look at the "cutomizing knoppix" part of the forum.

Similar Threads

  1. How do you un-install software?
    By gradnite in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 12:38 AM
  2. Question - install software from newer Knoppix image.
    By newiaqua in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 11:35 AM
  3. harddrive install ? and software ?
    By TheCrazzyman in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 08:52 AM
  4. installing new software on a HD install
    By [AN]Dracowolf in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 04:13 AM
  5. install additional linux software
    By joe56 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 02:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab 14.6 in Wi-Fi Tablet 256MB Black w/ Keyboard Case Bundle picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab 14.6 in Wi-Fi Tablet 256MB Black w/ Keyboard Case Bundle

$700.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99