Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Mounting a USB key. IDEA for some real smart Knoppix guru

  1. #1

    Mounting a USB key. IDEA for some real smart Knoppix guru

    It would be so sweet if there was a script that us knoppix newbies could run that would allow us to mount a USB key or a hard drive.

    How about it? We could store the script on the key then run it and have access to our drive.

    Jon

    Please, I'm beginning to feel ripped off for what I paid for Knoppix (that's sarcasm there).
    But come on, someone has had to have done this already.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Umm, how would you run the script from the key before mounting the key? Or did I misunderstand something?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    50
    Maybe I don't understand your idea, but I'm not sure what's so difficult about the way Knoppix already does it--click on the hard drive icon to mount it, right click and select "unmount" to unmount it, and right click and choose Actions->Change read/write mode to make it writeable.

  4. #4
    I'm sorry I meant having r/w access to the drive not just mounting it.

    Thanks Greenfly. Would you believe that I had missed that it is that simple?

    Jon

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by braverma_jom
    I'm sorry I meant having r/w access to the drive not just mounting it.

    Thanks Greenfly. Would you believe that I had missed that it is that simple?

    Jon
    1. Make sure no utility is pointing to anything in the USB
    2. Unmount the USB drive as before (right click -> unmount), unless it is already unmounted.
    3. Right click -> Device Tab -> Make sure you check the RW option, press OK (it is quite simple actually )
    4. Right click -> Mount or double click

    That should do it. For security reasons, Knoppix mounts all drives as RO, it is up to the user, who knows where to let Knoppix Write, to make the devices RW. Remember that if you do that on a NTFS partition you are on your own.

    Hope this helps,

    G

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Queretaro Mexico
    Posts
    36
    I tryed what you sayed before, but I can't write to the HD. I am using a live CD to do this, I even tryed doing it with the console and in SU mode. Is there any other way???

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    here's how i got mine to work:
    $ mkdir /mnt/usb
    plug in the device
    $ mount -t vfat /dev/uba1 /mnt/usb
    root should have write access to the drive now.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    20

    USB Key

    I'm not sure what this post is about, but I'm going to assume that a USB Key is a memory card that fits into a USB port. I already have a USB memory card on my pc with my knoppix configuration settings on it . I copied the contents of the 3.7 live cd into a folder on my Windows (Fat32) 2000 hard drive using the Knoppix TOHD /dev/hda1 cheatcode. I then set up a 4.3GB secondary IDE drive and use 2 partitions on that for my persistent home directory (/dev/hdc1) and my swap file(dev/hdc2) . The USB drive shows up on my desktop as /dev/sda1.

    I put the Knoppix cd into the cd drive, at the boot prompt type "knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1 home=/dev/hdc1 myconf=/dev/sda1" and as soon as the kernel boots, I take the CD out of the cd rom drive and I'm up and running. If I want to boot into Win 2000, I just take the knoppix cd out and boot from hd.

    To give the USB drive read/write privlidges, all I did was right click on the device icon, click on the permissions tab, and uncheck the RO box. Since I boot from the cd, I have no sign on security the way I would if I used the install to HD options, but I've never really been stuck . I downloaded Firefox 1.0 onto my /dev/hdc1 , installed it to my desktop, and use it all the time. I can't wait to get knoppix 3.8 so that it will be part of the core system.
    If I change my desktop settings, or my Firefox bookmarks, I select Knoppix/Configure/Save Knoppix Settings, save everthing I can, and at the locations prompt, I check the box for Sda1 and I'm done.

    I can even take the cd and the usb card to a friend's windows PC, throw in the Knoppix cd, boot as Knoppix myconf=/dev/sda1, and get the same desktop I have at home (assuming of course the target PC sees my usb card as sda1).

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    But come on, someone has had to have done this already.
    See http://www.damnsmalllinux.org for keychain USB drives that will boot your machine directly into Linux (if your BIOS supports it - mine doesn't seem to) or runs Linux from within Windows (using qemu).

    So yeah, people have been working on it.

    -- Ed

Similar Threads

  1. Need Knoppix Guru to Help Debug Hardware Problem
    By Little Mac in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2006, 07:13 PM
  2. Real Player, a real Headache...
    By chris-harry in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 03:36 PM
  3. Install Knoppix 3.8 on a HP DL380 with Smart Array 6i
    By lsten in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2005, 02:05 AM
  4. knoppix guru needed!!
    By gyro in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 03:22 AM
  5. Knoppix guru needed
    By linux-noob in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 05:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204 picture

Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204

$24.97