Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Screen resolution issue

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1

    Screen resolution issue

    I recently got a copy of Knoppix and am running it off a CD.

    At first it wouldn't run at all, giving me a blank screen. I soon discovered I could manually set the screen resolution lower using one of the knoppix startup cheat codes and make it run. I currently am typing
    knoppix screen=640x480 vsync=70 depth=16
    to make it run. Unfortunately, this resolution is pretty poor, and sometimes applications in the KDE have buttons at the bottom of windows that I thus can't move the mouse to to click on. Those buttons are below the visible screen.
    I have an S3 ProSavage DDR graphics card, which is an onboard graphics card. My system has Windows XP installed on it, and the resolution runs much better on XP. (1080 X something if I remember right).
    Whenever I try anything higher for screen resolution on the cheat codes, I get a blank screen. Messing with vsync and depth so far hasn't helped. Sometimes the monitor explicitly prints "Out of range" and recommends reading the manual for documentation. I've also tried vga=normal which didn't work.
    I'm guessing it's a graphics card problem, but I can't know for sure. Someone else told me it could likewise be a monitor problem for all I know.
    Is there any way to fix the problem with the hardware I have, or do I need to buy something else?
    Thanks,
    qb45man

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    "Onboard" video cards can be a little tricky to get working correctly in linux.
    This; http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-...7/30/0013.html link has a
    driver for the s3 prosavage.
    I haven't used this one myself I have set up video, onboard and pci
    You might try some of the things the link above suggests (It's for both bsd & linux)
    Let us know how you make out.

Similar Threads

  1. resolution issue
    By firekatd in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2006, 06:53 PM
  2. Screen Resolution
    By kallumama in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 04:37 PM
  3. Screen resolution
    By Buck1 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 01:38 AM
  4. DNS Resolution Issue with Knoppix 3.3
    By dblinick in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 11:54 AM
  5. Screen resolution
    By sanjay in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-22-2003, 06:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount picture

LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount

$350.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH. picture

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.

$197.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99