Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: no boot floppy images any more? (3.6)

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12

    no boot floppy images any more? (3.6)

    On Knoppix 3.3 there were the files
    KNOPPIX/boot.img
    KNOPPIX/mkfloppy.bat

    but on Knoppix 3.6 there doesn't seem to be any floppy boot image any more.
    How can I get one?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3

    I have some answears but a similar problem

    Hi

    I'll make a guess. I believe that KNOPPIX 3.3 uses a 2.4 kernel witch fits on a floppy, KNOPPIX 3.6, I think, uses a 2.6 kernel witch is too big.

    There are other alternatives however, many of them described on this forum, but witch of the alternatives you should choose depends on for what reason you want a boot floppy. If the problem is that your bios doesn't handle boot from cd, "smart boot manager" is probably a good alternative. If you want to boot from a usb unit I don't know myself and I'm desperatly looking for an answear.

    This is how far I've got. I've had one success, booting with the help of the featherlinux usb boot floppy. Unfortunatly feather uses a 2.4 kernel witch makes it a bit buggy. SBM doesn't find my usb disk so that isn't an alternative.

    /pingu

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12
    My computer in question cannot boot from cd, that's why. I just want to boot this knoppix 3.6 one-time to do a HD install, that's it.

    It is really a shame, that it is not possible any more, because of kernal size. After all that modularisation. Why can't they just put the kernel in a kernel module :~>

    About booting from USB, I have investigated very hard a year ago. A very good link is
    http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/ and if you are german, there was a c't describing the procedure in quite good detail too. But I had to learn, that even if the bios allows you to choose this boot option, it doesn't necessarily mean, that the bios really can handle it

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3
    Hi ThomasX!!!

    I am writing this from KNOPPIX 3.7 running from a usb hdd! It turned out that there is a way to boot from floppy only there had to be two of them. Once you are running KNOPPIX you can create boot floppies under the main menu from the menubar / KNOPPIX / utilities. That way I was able to boot from usb with the cheatcode knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1. It should be possible to boot from cd aswell once you get that far. If you could boot KNOPPIX from a friends computer this could be a solution allthough I realy think you should check SBM out.

    /pingu

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12
    Hi Pingu,

    > I am writing this from KNOPPIX 3.7 running from a usb hdd!

    Congratulations
    I remembered a few details I found a year ago: The ramdisk-image is not a cramfs or so, it
    is just a gzip-ed ext2. You can unzip it, mount it via loopback device, and modify it. This way
    you can place all needed USB modules in there, in case, you want to re-do it all by hand

    >It turned out that there is a way to boot from floppy only there had to be two of them. Once you are >running KNOPPIX you can create boot floppies under the main menu from the menubar / KNOPPIX / >utilities. That way I was able to boot from usb with the cheatcode knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1.

    Yes, but how to reach the boot prompt? Do you think, I can boot off a knoppix 3.3 floppy, but then
    switch to booting the kernel from the knoppix 3.6 CD by using the fromhd cheat???

    Thomas

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    29
    Hi,

    If you have (or can create, which is usefull if you often "play" with your pc) a DOS partition, simply copy there kernel (linux26), mimirt26.gz, (knoppix core 700 MB , or use from....); and loadlin.exe or linld.com (last two from knoppix3.3), and boot from dos.

    I also often use Peanut to boot peanut.gz (from two FD's, or CD, or HD). Unlike other miniroot's it's fully operational only ~3 MB Linux with Midnight Commander booted and worked from RAM. Next, you can do wtat you want, e.g., boot knoppix from cd.
    Best, Alex

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12
    Hi Alex,

    I knew loadlin, and of course this is something that might work pretty well.

    But I do not understand the other approach. When I got you right, after booting Peanut, i have a running linux. But how can I boot a linux from a running linux? Looks like there is something I should know. Is there some program like loadlin for linux?

    Thomas

Similar Threads

  1. writing floppy disk images to the floppy
    By linuxman in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 11:47 PM
  2. help making boot floppy to boot cd rom.
    By niceguy167 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 05:06 AM
  3. Help! Multi-Boot DVD, how to create CD images?
    By KanotixUSR in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 11:40 PM
  4. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  5. Boot knoppix withough Floppy and CD boot
    By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 2TB SSD 3D NAND 2.5'' SATA III 6GB/s Internal Solid State Drive picture

Netac 2TB SSD 3D NAND 2.5'' SATA III 6GB/s Internal Solid State Drive

$190.00