Quote Originally Posted by gamezealot
haha, this will be fun....trying to figure out all the specs of my monitor.... I bought this thing refurbed, doesnt have any tags on it, I know its an HP monitor, but.... is there any program that will tell me the refresh rates? or am i gonna have to do some research?
No, I don't think that such a programme exists. So you probably have to try if different settings work. The relevant parameter is the horizontal sync frequency (in kHz) (although the vertical sync frequency is more prominent (it should be at least 85 Hz, so there's no flicker), but they depend on each other).

By the way, do you have a CRT or TFT monitor? If you have a TFT monitor, then there is no problem at all - just set the vertical sync frequency to 60 Hz (then the horizontal frequency is almost of no importance at all). If you have a CRT then you should be aware that you might fry your monitor with the wrong settings - so start with low horizontal sync frequency. "Newer" (5 years old or so) CRTs will just power-off, so there's no risk at all.