-
Junior Member
registered user
Upgrade Knoppix 3.6 HDD install to Knoppix 3.7 HDD install
Does anybody know or has anybody successfully upgraded Knoppix versions? I have Knoppix 3.6 installed, SO much configuration done...sigh, fluxbox running, gkrellm, mplayer(compiled from scratch) apache, mysql, ftp server, users....my god please someone tell me I don't have to do it all over again?
Can I back up config files even and use them on the knew Knoppix maybe...I have drive space to backup data and such I just am not 100% sure what exactly I shouild back up...my ~ dir sure, but what about the software I've installed since doing the HDD install? Can I save any of it, or do I have to format, install Knoppix 3.7, then re-install everything and run data backups?
Thanks.
John
-
Senior Member
registered user
No, it is not possible to change a Knoppix 3.6 installation into a 3.7 installation. I hesitate to use the word 'upgrade' because there is very little difference between 3.6 & 3.7.
You can, however, upgrade your 3.6 install to the equivalent of a 3.7 install by upgrading the various applications to the newest versions available with 'apt-get -t unstable install <package name>'. You can also try 'apt-get upgrade' to upgrade everything all at once but be aware that there may be problems, apt-get upgrade does more than just upgrade the individual applications, it also attempts to change some of your system settings (presumeably to some Debian system standard) & installs all available services to auto start at boot up. Many people have had problems with apt-get upgrade & sometimes the system is so messed up it cannot be restored.
Similar Threads
-
By steptayl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-13-2006, 11:24 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-19-2005, 08:48 PM
-
By Alterscape in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-28-2004, 03:41 AM
-
By cujillo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-10-2004, 10:10 PM
-
By pc3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-16-2004, 04:33 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99

Ubiquiti UniFi Talk UVP-Touch VoIP IP Phone PoE Touchscreen Tested Reset
$64.99

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)
$17.99

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth
$49.95

Grandstream HT801 v2 Single Port Analog Telephone Adapter
$33.50