-
Remastering Without Wrecking Your Brains?
Hi,
I am very new to KNOPPIX, well sort of!!, I've been using KNOPPIX since 3.4, I can never master the complexities of Linux in General. I have been a MS Administrator and have been supporting MS Products since time in memorial, and KNOPPIX and Linux in General is a new challenge. I used the free tools included in 'diagnosing' network and hardware problems.
I have always wanted to configure KNOPPIX since I laid hands on it to give me a basic UK English, Time, Date and Calendar and not to forget the '£' Sign and things associated with the 'QWERTY' English Keyboard. Also my Network Printer, which is an HP5N.
I have re-mastered the KNOPPIX*.iso in the past, and I can tell you I will not be doing that anymore, because the following process is what I used to alter the latest 'KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso'. My previous versions of re-master was not as good as the original, because I have to un-install alot of stuff before getting it to fit into a CD-R, but it fitted into a DVD-R or DVD+R without any problems, it's just that it gets a little expensive doing that.
Stage 1
I loaded up KNOPPIX 3.7 on my PC using the following cheat codes "knoppix lang=en xkeyboard=gb", once I am in the session. I set about configuring the Desktop and also the background and colour including the printing, using 'cups'. When I am satisfied with what I want, I saved the configuration onto a floppy diskette (Menu > KNOPPIX >Configure > Save KNOPPIX Configuration), which generated the two following files:
1. knoppix.sh
2. configs.tbz
Stage 2
I used WinISO 5.3, which incidentally can be downloaded from http://www.winiso.com/download.htm, obviously you must have the fully registered version before it will do everything.
I tested the configuration on the floppy diskette to ensure that it is actually what I want by using the following cheat code on a re-boot 'knoppix floppyconfig'
You must open the 'KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso' image in WINISO 5.3 before you can insert the files. I then proceeded to insert the files found on the floppy disk, i.e. knoppix.sh and configs.tbz into the 'KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso' image under the '\KNOPPIX' folder within the ISO image, using WinISO 5.3, and saved the image upon completion.
I then used NERO 6.0 to burn the 'modified KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso' image onto a CD-RW, just incase it did not turn out as expected. Infact you should be able to use any CD-R burning software as long as it supports burning an ISO image. I think this try out is important so as you don't waste any CD-R before reaching a final design of your choice.
Once the image is burned onto the CD-RW, I tested it on a few of my systems, and I was very relieved that I was not disappointed.
Stage 3
Burn the 'modified KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso' onto a standard CD-R and have fun. You will find that this image is very similar to the original, but with an English Setting, and perhaps what ever you wish to add, that can be saved onto a floppy disk.
EOF
Please try this out and if you have any comments, I would like to hear about it.
The whole process took less that an hour.
Similar Threads
-
By MarisN in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-22-2006, 01:51 PM
-
By wick2o in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-25-2005, 08:32 PM
-
By grexk in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-10-2005, 03:38 AM
-
By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 29
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
-
By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 11
Last Post: 04-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08