Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Installed, yet NO boot

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22

    Installed, yet NO boot

    Ok, I'm a relatively new linux user. I booted off the knoppix cd and opened terminal... typed su, and then typed the command to start the installer. Everytime it says I dont meet the minimum requirements.... I'm installing Knoppix on my second internal drive. I made a 500mb linux swap partition, and the rest is a linux partition, marked as bootable, about 55 gb worth. So i did the ignorecheck=1 thing and forced the install to start. It went through, got to the point where it was asking for a floppy, I hit no because I dont have one. Then it said installation complete.... I restart and i can only boot to windows..... I boot back up off the cd, and HD shows all these new files, but I cannot boot off the second drive.... any suggestions? did I miss anything? is the floppy part important?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Did you make sure to install the bootloader to the mbr? It will not boot when you choose the root partition.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22
    when was i supposed to do that? how do I do that?

    also.... is a floppy drive neccessary to install?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    During the install process that is one of the options that you are given to configure. Just make sure that it is checked or that the dot is in between the parenthesis. No floppy needed to install when doing from live cd.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22
    ok... cool, ill try again once i get home.... but one other question.... what exactly do I need for it to recognize i have my drive partitioned correctly.... i have a linux swap partition, and a regular linux partition set to bootable..... but it keeps saying i dont have the requirements and I have to force it to install

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Installed, yet NO boot

    Quote Originally Posted by gamezealot
    Ok, I'm a relatively new linux user. I booted off the knoppix cd and opened terminal... typed su, and then typed the command to start the installer. Everytime it says I dont meet the minimum requirements.... I'm installing Knoppix on my second internal drive. I made a 500mb linux swap partition, and the rest is a linux partition, marked as bootable, about 55 gb worth. So i did the ignorecheck=1 thing and forced the install to start. It went through, got to the point where it was asking for a floppy, I hit no because I dont have one. Then it said installation complete.... I restart and i can only boot to windows..... I boot back up off the cd, and HD shows all these new files, but I cannot boot off the second drive.... any suggestions? did I miss anything? is the floppy part important?
    It sounds like the lilo bootloader did not install properly. Boot your knoppix CD with the bootcode 'knoppix root=/dev/hda5 noinitrd ro' (replace hda5 with the correct partition for where you installed knoppix to). This should start your konppix HD installation. Using konqueror, browse to /etc/lilo.conf & open the file. Check that there is a line which says 'boot=/dev/hda', this is the command to put lilo on the MBR. If this is correct, open a terminal & type 'sudo lilo' which should attempt to install lilo on your MBR. Follow up on any error messages or post again if you get any error messages. To edit lilo.conf to correct any errors you will have to be root user.
    To edit this file using kate (easier than most text based editors), first type 'sudo passwd' & set a root password then type 'kdesu kate /etc/lilo.conf' to open the editor as root. You should make a bakup copy first 'sudo cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf.old' willmake a backup copy.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22
    ok, lilo did have that boot=/dev/hda

    so i typed sudo lilo in the terminal and this is what I got

    knoppix@1[~]$ sudo lilo
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
    Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
    Warning: The boot sector and map file are on different disks.
    Added Linux *
    Added Linux(2.4)-1
    Added Linux(2.6)-2
    Warning: CHANGE AUTOMATIC assumed after "other=/dev/hda1"
    Added Windows(hda1)
    Warning: CHANGE AUTOMATIC assumed after "other=/dev/hda2"
    Device 0x0300: Inconsistent partition table, 2nd entry
    CHS address in PT: 616:0:1 --> LBA (9896040)
    LBA address in PT: 9313920 --> CHS (579:195:1)
    Fatal: Either FIX-TABLE or IGNORE-TABLE must be specified
    If not sure, first try IGNORE-TABLE (-P ignore)



    It didnt do anyhting as im sure you know, I restarted the computer and it booted right into windows, no option for linux....... what should i try now?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by gamezealot
    ok, lilo did have that boot=/dev/hda

    so i typed sudo lilo in the terminal and this is what I got

    knoppix@1[~]$ sudo lilo
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
    Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
    Warning: The boot sector and map file are on different disks.
    Added Linux *
    Added Linux(2.4)-1
    Added Linux(2.6)-2
    Warning: CHANGE AUTOMATIC assumed after "other=/dev/hda1"
    Added Windows(hda1)
    Warning: CHANGE AUTOMATIC assumed after "other=/dev/hda2"
    Device 0x0300: Inconsistent partition table, 2nd entry
    CHS address in PT: 616:0:1 --> LBA (9896040)
    LBA address in PT: 9313920 --> CHS (579:195:1)
    Fatal: Either FIX-TABLE or IGNORE-TABLE must be specified
    If not sure, first try IGNORE-TABLE (-P ignore)

    It didnt do anyhting as im sure you know, I restarted the computer and it booted right into windows, no option for linux....... what should i try now?
    Oh-oh! I think maybe I'm over my head on this one. This is the second time recently I've seen posts about problems with device-mapper & no nothing about it.

    But lets see what we can do.

    First, It looks like lilo is OK until it gets to /dev/hda2. I think this is maybe your XP 'recovery' partition which doesn't need to be in lilo anyway, so just edit lilo.conf & delete the entry for /dev/hda2. Lilo will maybe then install OK.

    This points out one of the bugs in the knoppix-installer, that is, if anything goes wrong with the lilo install the script just continues on with no message back to the user who will be left with a knopppix install which he(she) cannot boot into just as you have.

    I don't think we have to be concerned about the FIX_TABLE warnings either, since they are about /dev/hda2 which is on your non-linux drive also.

    The device-mapper I haven't a clue about, perhaps someone else can step in here??

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22
    I finally got it to boot straight into linux.... i commented out these lines

    other=/dev/hda1
    label="Windows(hda1)"
    other=/dev/hda2
    label="WinXP/2K(hda2)"



    I tried just doing this part first..... but it gave me an insane amount of errors when trying to load lilo

    other=/dev/hda2
    label="WinXP/2K(hda2)


    NOW, since we know i can boot straight into linux....... I just cant boot back into windows without changing lilo back..... still need help here people.... this is what the end of lilo.conf looks like now

    # If you have another OS on this machine to boot, you can uncomment the
    # following lines, changing the device name on the 'other' line to
    # where your other OS' partition is.
    #
    # other=/dev/hda4
    # label=HURD
    # restricted
    # alias=3
    #other=/dev/hda1
    # label="Windows(hda1)"
    #other=/dev/hda2
    # label="WinXP/2K(hda2)"

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by gamezealot
    I finally got it to boot straight into linux.... i commented out these lines

    other=/dev/hda1
    label="Windows(hda1)"
    other=/dev/hda2
    label="WinXP/2K(hda2)"



    I tried just doing this part first..... but it gave me an insane amount of errors when trying to load lilo

    other=/dev/hda2
    label="WinXP/2K(hda2)
    I would have thought just commenting out the other=/dev/hda2 part should have worked.
    Try

    other=/dev/hda1
    label="WinXP"
    table=/dev/hda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Installed to Hdd and don't know how to boot.
    By rniles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 09:05 PM
  2. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  3. CD Boot works, HDD Installed boot fails at second hurdle
    By Rib in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 12:43 PM
  4. I ve installed knoppix but cant boot
    By 5y573m f41lur3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 12:04 AM
  5. installed on to HD but can't boot
    By coreymon77 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 02:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00