Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: copying data & mouse problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2

    copying data & mouse problem

    Hi, I'm new to Linux and Knoppix, and I'm trying to copy some data off my WinXP Home laptop (doesn't boot).
    I have two problems:

    1: I am not able to write to my USB stick (FAT). I have made it writeable and have tried plugging it in both before and after booting as suggested by other people on this forum, but I'm still not able to copy my data. I think the laptop also uses FAT.

    2: Neither my mouse nor my touchpad are recognised, which makes finding my way around a bit awkward. When I run Knoppix on my desktop I don't have this problem.

    Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2
    I managed to solve both problems myself and I thought I'd post it on here in case it might help other people.

    To make the USB or PCMCIA card writable, I right clicked the drive, selected >activities< and then >change read/write permissions<. It'll format the card to vfat, which seems totally reversible. I was able to transfer all my files this way.

    Regarding the problem with the mouse, I used the USB mouse from my desktop instead and it also worked fine on the laptop!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2006, 07:03 AM
  2. copying ntfs data via ext. dvd burner or hd
    By linusr in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2005, 05:52 AM
  3. problem with copying files
    By jc01 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 08:33 PM
  4. difficulty copying and burning - please help me save my data
    By astrojohn in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 02:06 AM
  5. Newbie Help - Recovering Data, Copying Files, Using CD-RW
    By Johnny3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99