Do "dmesg" at a terminal and see if the drive shows up during booting, and if there is any other info there about
the slave drive.
Is the drive recognized in win?
I have Knoppix 3.7. I recently installed a second hard drive on IDE channel 0 set as slave. Before hard drive install Knoppix worked fine and the hdd icon was on the KDE. After second hdd install Knoppix does not show hdd icons on KDE. I also tried to copy tohd=/dev/hda1 and when knoppix tries to copy I get the message /dev/hda1 is not mountable.
some sytem info;
IDE 0=C and D drives windows98 FAT32
IDE 1=CDrom
Knoppix worked fine with one hdd and was able to copy to hda1.
Do "dmesg" at a terminal and see if the drive shows up during booting, and if there is any other info there about
the slave drive.
Is the drive recognized in win?
Thanks for your reply eon. Both hda1 and hdb1 show up during boot ,but when KDE comes up there are no hdd icons on the desktop. Windows does recognize both drives. I have decided to purchase a USB drive enclosure and install the second hdd there for my home and swap files. I had no problems with only one hdd installed and was able to copy knoppix to hda1 and boot knoppix from hd.
Sometimes usb is a little tricky also.
If the only problem is not having a desktop icon ( I'm not running 3.7 ) then you could try
creating one. Knoppix usually sets up /etc/fstab for you. Just right click on the desktop
select create new device (from the menu that right clicking displays) and then select the correct device
from the device tab under properties.

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95
NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11
$450.00
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU
$279.99
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$140.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00