Do "dmesg" at a terminal and see if the drive shows up during booting, and if there is any other info there about
the slave drive.
Is the drive recognized in win?
I have Knoppix 3.7. I recently installed a second hard drive on IDE channel 0 set as slave. Before hard drive install Knoppix worked fine and the hdd icon was on the KDE. After second hdd install Knoppix does not show hdd icons on KDE. I also tried to copy tohd=/dev/hda1 and when knoppix tries to copy I get the message /dev/hda1 is not mountable.
some sytem info;
IDE 0=C and D drives windows98 FAT32
IDE 1=CDrom
Knoppix worked fine with one hdd and was able to copy to hda1.
Do "dmesg" at a terminal and see if the drive shows up during booting, and if there is any other info there about
the slave drive.
Is the drive recognized in win?
Thanks for your reply eon. Both hda1 and hdb1 show up during boot ,but when KDE comes up there are no hdd icons on the desktop. Windows does recognize both drives. I have decided to purchase a USB drive enclosure and install the second hdd there for my home and swap files. I had no problems with only one hdd installed and was able to copy knoppix to hda1 and boot knoppix from hd.
Sometimes usb is a little tricky also.
If the only problem is not having a desktop icon ( I'm not running 3.7 ) then you could try
creating one. Knoppix usually sets up /etc/fstab for you. Just right click on the desktop
select create new device (from the menu that right clicking displays) and then select the correct device
from the device tab under properties.

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
USB 2.0 Flash Drive 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Thumb Memory Stick Multi Pack Bulk Lot
$1082.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00
Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL380/DL360 Gen9 (P89) P89_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99
Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99