Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Mouse stopped working in kernel 2.4, still works in 2.6

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2

    Mouse stopped working in kernel 2.4, still works in 2.6

    After a recent apt-get upgrade my PS2-mouse no longer works in kernel 2.4.27, but still works when I boot with kernel 2.6, so definitely no hardware problem. Trying cat /dev/psaux while moving the mouse gives nothing. What can I try next?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22
    just try

    /dev/input/mice

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for replying, but it's stll not working:
    ls /dev/input/mice gives me a majot/minor 13/63
    cat /dev/input/mice however responds with 'no such device'.
    I noticed one of the boot messages says in 2.4.27:
    starting hotplug subsystems: input [failed]
    while on kernel 2.6 it succesfully starts a number of services within' input'.
    Being a bit of a newbie, I don't know what to do now.

  4. #4
    I'm having the same problem ... after a v3.3 install, my Synaptics touchpad worked fine. I then apt-get upgraded , and nada. It was using kernel 2.4.24, I installed 2.4.27, played around with gpm.conf, still not getting a moving mouse.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    42
    You probably have to load the right module into the kernel.

    Try 'modprobe psmouse' as root (hmm, probably you need to type 'modprobe psmouse.o' with kernel 2.4 instead), but I'm not sure if this is the right kernel module (i just guessed the name - I'm using a serial mouse and kernel 2.6 right now).

    With 'lsmod |grep mouse' you can see if the module was loaded. To load the module at startup you need to modify '/etc/modules-2.4.27'.

    Now you should be able to use your mouse. But there seems to be something wrong with your hotplug. If you have no problems with 2.6, why not use it?


    edit:

    These are the files in my '/lib/modules/2.4.27/kernel/drivers/input' directory:
    evdev.o input.o joydev.o keybdev.o mousedev.o uinput.o

    So you probably have to type 'modprobe mousedev.o'. But I'm really not sure.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hollywood, Florida
    Posts
    18
    I have the same problem on both my laptop and desktop pc..

    I have ran apt-get and did a system upgrade and voila.. no more ps/2 mouse.

    on my laptop, i can plug in a usb mouse and it works, but not on my desktop !!

    anyway... I'll try the suggestions here, but really.... the developers should look into why this is happening and send out an update to correct this automatically ...



Similar Threads

  1. My mysql just stopped working!
    By morbidpalooza.com in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 09:17 PM
  2. NDISWRAPPER stopped working with 5.01
    By Abraxus in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 09:31 AM
  3. apt has stopped working
    By linuxer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 01:50 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 08:43 PM
  5. Printing stopped working
    By rec9140 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2003, 06:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Rare Vintage 63 Key ASCII Mechanical Computer Keyboard Original Box Untested WoW picture

Rare Vintage 63 Key ASCII Mechanical Computer Keyboard Original Box Untested WoW

$149.00



Vintage Media Vision Pro Audio Studio PAS16 ISA Sound Card 650-0060 A. PC picture

Vintage Media Vision Pro Audio Studio PAS16 ISA Sound Card 650-0060 A. PC

$90.00



7 Vintage Microsoft Software CDs Lot Windows XP Home 2000 95 Works PC  picture

7 Vintage Microsoft Software CDs Lot Windows XP Home 2000 95 Works PC

$35.98



Retro Vintage PCI Video Card Creative Labs CT6670 3Dfx Voodoo2 8MB Tested Works picture

Retro Vintage PCI Video Card Creative Labs CT6670 3Dfx Voodoo2 8MB Tested Works

$180.00



EXCLUSIVE

EXCLUSIVE "Introducing APPLE II" very FIRST COLOR ADVERT _ Read Why RARE Vintage

$275.00



Sealed Mosaic In A Box OEM 2.0 CD-ROM Windows 95 3.1 Vintage PC Software Egghead picture

Sealed Mosaic In A Box OEM 2.0 CD-ROM Windows 95 3.1 Vintage PC Software Egghead

$18.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Apple IIe Platinum A2S2128 128K Computer Not Working For Parts As Is picture

Vintage Apple IIe Platinum A2S2128 128K Computer Not Working For Parts As Is

$149.99



Vintage Intel iPDS-100  Personal Development System picture

Vintage Intel iPDS-100 Personal Development System

$1499.99



Vintage Super Rare Exxon Office Supplies Keyboard Mechanical Untested* 1980-85 picture

Vintage Super Rare Exxon Office Supplies Keyboard Mechanical Untested* 1980-85

$499.99