Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Need help Please! Installer

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2

    Need help Please! Installer

    Ok....First I am at the fruestration braking point and need help. I am trying to install whoppix which has knoppix 3.7. I have windows xp dell laptop 3.06 512 mem.....and have all ready use QTPARTED to create a EXT 10 gig and A swap of 800mb. I open terminal type su...root.....type cd /tmp knoppix-installer-latest -web....host not found.....bad command...That is what there site says to do but nobody will answer my ?. So I came here tryed ./knoppix-installer...tryed knoppix2hdinstaller....tryed knoppix-installer....tryedknx-2hd......All bad commands. I really want to learn but can not figure it out. This is day 3 with no results from 1 million google searches and forum posts. I'm starting to think this why people pay for M$hit!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I downloaded & burnt the WHoppix 2.6 SP1 CD. According to the documentation at the WHoppix forums, the older version required the user to manualy download the installation scripts and then execute them. It seems the updated version suggest that the user open a terminal and:
    cd /tmp
    ./knoppix-installer-latest-web
    That script automatically downloads the installation script archive, extracts them, and executes them. If you do not have internet connectivity then you will not be able to install WHoppix. This is why you keep getting the bad host error. You probably do not have internet connectivity.

    The lack of a "onboard" installer seems to be a limitation of WHoppix and not of Knoppix as all recent versions come with the installer on the CD . I would suggest that you download and save the installation script archive http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/insta..._0.3-14.tar.gz and save it to either floppy, CDR, USB flash key. Then you can install WHoppix anywhere without the network connectivity dependency. To install from the archive:
    Code:
    cd $HOME
    tar zxvf /the/path/to/where/ever/you/put/the/knx-installer_0.3-14.tar.gz
    cd knx-installer-0.3
    sudo ./knoppix-installer
    I got these commands from the /tmp/knoppix-installer-latest-web file. You can find out how it works by:
    xedit /tmp/knoppix-installer-latest-web
    I do not agree with the decision to not include the installer on the CD and you should take that up with the WHoppix people. WHoppix excuse is that their distro is not for new users. Unless you need to pentration testing or network testing, I see no point in running WHoppix over Knoppix or Kanotix.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2

    Installer

    Hey Thanks alot for the quick post. That is exactly what I thought the problem was ...and posted(on whoppix) that question after 4 days and 50 some people viewing the post nobody would answer it.I started to think there was a reason they weren't answering it. I am a long time M$ user and very comfortable with windows but this was my first attempt at Linux to use it for pen testing\security on my network. The fact that you have to go online to install software seems very insecure to me....I guess I'm not a programmer but nevertheless seems pointless.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix-installer.po
    By jonli in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 11:51 PM
  2. Does it have an installer
    By beforewisdom in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 07:15 PM
  3. knx-installer
    By mstromberg in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 01:34 AM
  4. Need help with Knoppix-installer
    By ValhallaSystems in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-25-2004, 06:36 PM
  5. v.3.3 installer
    By NikNak in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 02:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$380.00



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor

$360.00



AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD 4.2 GHz (5.0 GHz Max Boost) AM5 UNLOCKED picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD 4.2 GHz (5.0 GHz Max Boost) AM5 UNLOCKED

$300.00



Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151) picture

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)

$189.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Advantech ARK-3500 Fanless Industrial PC i7-3610QE 8GB        picture

Advantech ARK-3500 Fanless Industrial PC i7-3610QE 8GB

$200.00