Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: newbie - network setup, wireless connection help

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    newbie - network setup, wireless connection help

    Hi. The last couple of days I have been trying to get online with Knoppix and SLAX - which I have been told are the two best Live distros. My problem with both is that neither can seem to "wake up" my wireless device.

    I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 with a built-in "AIRONET Wireless Communications Cisco Aironet Wirless 802.11b" that I normally use with Win XP to connect to the Internet and LAN at work. I want a Live distro so I do not have to worry about a setup on my HDD.

    Long story short, what the heck do I do to get my aironet card working? It does not light up, I cannot find it on a device list; I am rather clueless and frustrated.

    I did run a configuration program and I found some options to enable the card for the kernel - newbie talk here - and since I do not have an Internet connection while in Knoppix I cannot tell you the exact syntax. Anyway, I think I was able to enable the card or driver, but still nothing shows up ... no blinking lights or anything, so I must be missing something.

    Thanks in advance to anyone that can point me in some sort of direction to get this device working!

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62

    Re: newbie - network setup, wireless connection help

    Quote Originally Posted by jcalvert
    Hi. The last couple of days I have been trying to get online with Knoppix and SLAX - which I have been told are the two best Live distros. My problem with both is that neither can seem to "wake up" my wireless device.

    I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 with a built-in "AIRONET Wireless Communications Cisco Aironet Wirless 802.11b" that I normally use with Win XP to connect to the Internet and LAN at work. I want a Live distro so I do not have to worry about a setup on my HDD.

    Long story short, what the heck do I do to get my aironet card working? It does not light up, I cannot find it on a device list; I am rather clueless and frustrated.

    I did run a configuration program and I found some options to enable the card for the kernel - newbie talk here - and since I do not have an Internet connection while in Knoppix I cannot tell you the exact syntax. Anyway, I think I was able to enable the card or driver, but still nothing shows up ... no blinking lights or anything, so I must be missing something.

    Thanks in advance to anyone that can point me in some sort of direction to get this device working!
    Hello:

    There are a number of ways this can be done: (1) if there are native drivers use them; but this is not likely; (2) use ndiswrapper, which allows the use of M$ drivers in GNU/Linux.

    The first step is to identify which AIRONET chipset is being used. To do this:
    [in a console as root] type the command: lspci

    You should be able to interpret the output and find the chipset.

    OR/

    If you know where the driver is -- typically a *.inf file -- on your installation CD for the card you can try and use that with ndiswrapper.

    The reason why id'ing the chipset is that then we can use alternative sources for the driver if you have misplaced your CD or ndiswrapper does not like working with that version of the driver.

    To use ndiswrapper there is a guide under the sticky post Success with Knoppix 3.6 and Wireless Networking, which should provide an adequate guide written by myself.

    If you have trouble let me know and I'll try and help. I have a reasonable success rate in getting people's cards going notwithstanding I am pretty new at this myself.

    Regards,

    Grant D. Vallance

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2006, 05:35 AM
  2. newbie needs help with wireless internet setup
    By zx2max in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 10:42 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-13-2005, 04:02 PM
  4. How can i setup my wireless connection with wep?
    By PrOmETeO in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 07:44 PM
  5. Newbie question: Network setup
    By ShonenFan in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 07:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99