Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix 3.7 WLAN PCMCIA Problem

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix 3.7 WLAN PCMCIA Problem

    I have tested the newest version of Knoppix with my Notebook. Looks good but i can not use my PCMCIA WLAN card (Orinoco 802.11b/g Silver). It should be run on kernel 2.6 i think. I have not tested it with kernel 2.4. If i want to configure it with the integrated WLAN cofigurator it says no wlan adapter found or something like that. Can someone help me please? Please very simple because Iam a noob in this. THX

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    20
    I'm running Knoppix 3.7 on a Dell latitude CPXI . I have an Orinoco B/G Gold card that I use with Windows, but it won't work with Linux . My research indictaes that there is only one WIFI card driver currently supported by linux, and that's something called the Lucent/Orinoco driver.. This driver is used in about a dozen pcmcia cards, but they are all "B" cards. The end result was that I went to Ebay and bought an Orinoco Classic Gold "B" card for $30, and that work's fine. These cards are also available new from an outfit called Fleeman Anderson & Bird (FAB) in Florida. When I got the new pcmcia card, I made no entries in WLan or any other internet program, knoppix saw the card and my unencrypted Linkys wireless router and set the card up automatically. I can see the card working in the Wavemon program.If you have made entires in Wlan in an attempt to get your B/G card working, that may prevent the "B" card from scanning.. I couldn't figure out how to reset Wlan, so I had to reinstall Knoppix (90 min job...not bad compared to Windows )

    Your other alternaitve is to write a driver for the new B/G cards.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3
    i had similiar issues regarding an orinoco 8460 a/b gold card. nothing but windows acknowledged it. i went on ebay and found an orinoco 8480-US and the ONLY distro is works off the bat is knoppix 3.7. I tried various other versions of *nix distro's and was unable to get the card to work. it uses the atheros chipset

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rgarden
    . My research indictaes that there is only one WIFI card driver currently supported by linux, and that's something called the Lucent/Orinoco driver.. This driver is used in about a dozen pcmcia cards, but they are all "B" cards.
    Lots of cards are supported under linux. Right now I'm running a Linksys 54g card. I use ndiswrapper and the windows drivers. Do a google for ndiswrapper and you will find several howtos

Similar Threads

  1. WLAN PCMCIA Problem
    By DaSilva in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 09:05 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.7 - Kernel 2.6.x - Netgear WLan MA521 PCMCIA
    By spoonman in forum German Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 09:57 PM
  3. WLAN pcmcia RTL8180 running with Knoppix 3.2 !
    By dl5raz in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 09:25 PM
  4. The best wlan pcmcia card for knoppix
    By onimeno in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 06:19 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99