Follow Up:
Still have same problem though now experiencing problems with all files on hda5... says they are a Read-Only File System. What could have caused this and how can I fix it? I am unable to extract any files or anything while in this state.
Hello everyone, this is my first time to this forum, first time using knoppix and first time with linux so please understand if my question sounds stupid....
I have a partion on my hard drive for knoppix already (/mnt/hda5/). Knoppix works fine and I have downloaded some packages that I require and these are sitting on my new partition.
I am trying to install:
glib-2.6.1
atk-1.9.0
gtk+-2.6.1
pango-1.8.0
However... starting with glib... seems others require glib first...
I ./configure and all seems fine, i then make and all looks fine though when i try to make install i am returned errors:
knoppix@ttyp1[glib-2.6.1]$ make install
make install-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/hda5/gtk/glib-2.6.1'
Making install in .
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/hda5/gtk/glib-2.6.1'
make[3]: Entering directory `/mnt/hda5/gtk/glib-2.6.1'
/bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin
mkdir -p -- /usr/local/bin
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/bin': Read-only file system
make[3]: *** [install-binSCRIPTS] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda5/gtk/glib-2.6.1'
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda5/gtk/glib-2.6.1'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda5/gtk/glib-2.6.1'
make: *** [install] Error 2
What is the problem here and how do I fix it?
Thank you![]()
Follow Up:
Still have same problem though now experiencing problems with all files on hda5... says they are a Read-Only File System. What could have caused this and how can I fix it? I am unable to extract any files or anything while in this state.
Right click on desktop hda5 icon and goto actions. Then change read/write option. That should now allow you to write to the hd.

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core i5-8400T 1.7 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3X6
$28.99
Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD
$27.99
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49
Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor
$27.99
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz 4th Gen 4 Cores 8 Threads Desktop CPU SR1QF
$39.95
Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0
$38.00
AMD A10-7890K 4.1 GHz Socket FM2+ Desktop CPU Processor AD789KXDI44JC
$99.99