-
Junior Member
registered user
Are /boot and /proc partitions or directories?
Anything with a forward slash is usually a directory, but that dosn't seem to fit with what your saying.
-

Originally Posted by
WilyPython
Are /boot and /proc partitions or directories?
Ok. i see - it's a little bit confusing if you just arrived from the windows world.
In Linux you mount partitions to directorys. The root partition for example is mounted to / (that's why it is called root). The boot partition is mounted to the directory /boot (if there is no boot partition /boot is just a directory in your root partition). An /home partition (if you've got one) is mounted to /home...
I think you've got the idea.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I'm almost on the same page with you here . . .

Originally Posted by
Rumo
In Linux you mount partitions to directorys.
Now I know stalions mount mares, but I suspect Linux's interpretation of 'mount' is a bit different
-
Ok, I'll try to give an explanation for you. Not so easy for a non-native speaker...
Mounting a filesystem (or partition) means attaching it to the file hierarchy (directory tree). So if the partition you want to use as /home is mounted, it is attached to the /home directory.
I hope this helps.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hummmmm???
I think I had better go off and do some reading about this 'mounting' stuff. Once I've got that sorted I think I'll be ready to start.
As it is, thanks to you Rumo I've come a long way from searching for an install program that wasn't there LOL!
I think I've hogged you and this thread long enough for one night, so thanks again.
Similar Threads
-
By metavoid in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-31-2004, 11:13 PM
-
By three eyes open in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 01:06 AM
-
By oreo in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
-
By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA (M471A2K43EB1-CWE) DDR4 Laptop ram
$45.99

Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 Internal SSD (MZ-V9P2T0B/AM)
$249.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99