Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Super N00b

  1. #11
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by The Conman
    ......And i diddent BT the file because A: the link wouldent work, and B: nobody is uploading probably anyways and 700 megs would take for ever because everbody is probably leaching.
    You asked if you should rename a RAR to an ISO and burn it as if it were an ISO. That doesn't strike me as a question an experienced user with RAR files and ISO files would even ask, particularly if you can determine that it really is an RAR and not an ISO. If I somehow offended you with my postings then I'm sorry, take Markus' advice and rename it and burn it, and then please post back and let us know how that worked out for you.

    I did check the Bittorrent before my last post and there was an extremely high number of completed torrent users who were still sharing the file. So I would have every expectation that the Bittorrent download would have been extremely fast; I got my copy quite some time ago, when the demand was higher, and yet it downloaded much faster for me that any copy of Knoppix I ever received from a mirror. From what I saw on the torrent page my expectation would be that a download now would be even faster (as long as you are not leaching).

    I would appreciate it if you don't use TLA's for obscene phrases when talking to me. No, I'm not a holly roller (I'm a godless heathen), but it's offensive to get a response like that from someone that you are trying to help.

    An ICO is an icon file, by the way. It is a common extension.

    Again, you didn't answer the basic question, where did you get the file? From a mirror or elsewhere? This is important because if you got it from one of the mirrors than I will flatly state that it is an ISO file and that you don't know what the extension is. If you got it elsewhere then I can't know what has happened to it. The little information that you posted looks like you have an ISO, but I have no idea that you really know the extension or not, and there is no good reason that an ISO file would have been renamed to a RAR so I'm not going to tell you to rename it back to ISO without more information. It does look like you have an ISO file from the files that you listed though, although you didn't even bother to post the file sizes (if you had you might not have even had to ask if the ico file was the ISO file). And if you have an ISO file and have not checked the md5 sum, then don't even bother burning it. Use the blank CD as a coaster and save yourself some time.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Might also be worth mentioning that when you download a file in windows you should always right-click and choose "Save as"...
    No, I would advise against doing that. If someone were to download a RAR file (or any other type of file) to change an exension, they will further confuse things.
    I should have been more verbose about this. I meant you should choose the "Save as" option to check the default extension as it's my understanding the filename is shown in the popup window. I did NOT mean you should change the extension.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Conman
    the files in the RAR file are as follows:
    Boot
    Knoppix
    Linux Tag
    Talks
    Autorun.bat
    Autorun.inf
    Autorun.pif
    Cdrom.ico<<<if this is supposed to be an ISO then WTF
    index.html
    IIRC that's the contents of the iso. Are you quite sure the download finished. Check the filesizes like Harry Kuhman said.
    As of now, I'm, like Harry Kuhman, still not sure what kind of file with which extension you have. Is it really a .rar file, or an .iso file associated with and handled by Winrar?

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    As of now, I'm, like Harry Kuhman, still not sure what kind of file with which extension you have. Is it really a .rar file, or an .iso file associated with and handled by Winrar?
    I'm pretty sure WinRAR is set to handle the ISO extensio which is causing all the confusion. This page should help to clear it up http://www.rocketfodder.pwp.blueyond...Nero_page1.htm.
    I found that link here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16192.

    I hope this helps.
    James

  4. #14
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    I'm pretty sure WinRAR is set to handle the ISO extensio which is causing all the confusion. .....
    WinRAR certainly does open the ISO format James. That's why I pointed out the importance of actually looking at the extension before he continued to think that the extension was wrong, but the response for that suggeston was no feedback at all that he had actually checked the extension, the I'm not a complete noob line to help offered, the claim of knowledge because he uploaded a terabyte to a site that hosts torrents of copyrighted material, and the rude TLA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Super User at Knoppix 5.1.1 HD-installed
    By Joepi54 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 05:59 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 02:41 AM
  3. Super Noob Friendly Knoppix
    By Enmity in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 12:51 AM
  4. [Super]karamba
    By eadz in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 04:06 AM
  5. corrupt Super Blocks
    By loji in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2003, 12:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



32GB (2x16GB) SK Hynix PC4-2666V DDR4-21300 Desktop Memory HMA82GU6JJR8N-VK picture

32GB (2x16GB) SK Hynix PC4-2666V DDR4-21300 Desktop Memory HMA82GU6JJR8N-VK

$109.99



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON picture

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON

$149.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50