Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Remote home directories?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5

    Remote home directories?

    I'm just wondering if there's a way to have knoppix pick up a home directory off of a remote mount...I have an iMac running as a mail server at a small office, and they all already have home directories set up. I'd like to just pop knoppix cd's in the desktops, and then use nfs or smb to remote mount the home directories. This way they have a consistant work environment. Is that possible, or would I have to put their homes on floppy, and then remote mount their homes in the .login on the floppy?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5
    http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/cnetips2.html

    Looks like according to that article you can mount webdav and ftp directories to the filesystem. Any of those methods would work as well. Would be nice to be able to do that via cheat code instead of via floppy and .login....although, if I do it via floppy, then people could work from home if the ftp server is visible to the outside world....

    Hmm...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5
    Wait, via cheat code they could do it from home too. :P

    The real trick here is password protection I suppose. Via ftp password protection would be mandatory I suppose. Gah, help anyone? Someone more familiar with modding knoppix?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5
    I have a K6-2 400 sitting here I guess I can play around with...I would need help setting up the cheat codes though...it looks like they're just boot loader choices....hmm.

    ftpfs would be the most useful IMHO...easiest to set up. Just about every server on the planet runs ftp.

    I have at least one client that I can move away from windows to this. I had them convinced by booting up and showing them Evolution and Konqueror. Just need a way to have centralized control of accounts and we're set.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Remote home directories?

    --This is all from memory, so post back with results... Backup their home dirs first in case KDE decides to change settings.

    1. Boot to runlevel 2 (without GUI):
    ' knoppix 2 '

    2. ' /etc/init.d/portmap start ' == Needed for NFS
    2a. Config and activate ETH0 (ifconfig)

    3. Copy-down the /etc/group and /etc/passwd* files from CD (they're non-editable symlinks if you don't)

    4. ' adduser blah ' == Subst your NFS userid here

    5. ' mount -t nfs SERVER:/home/user /home/user -odefaults,noauto,rsize=8192,retry=1,bg,soft,intr,r w 0 0

    6. Have the user login, or ' su ' to their userid

    7. ' startx '

    Quote Originally Posted by numbski
    I'm just wondering if there's a way to have knoppix pick up a home directory off of a remote mount...I have an iMac running as a mail server at a small office, and they all already have home directories set up. I'd like to just pop knoppix cd's in the desktops, and then use nfs or smb to remote mount the home directories. This way they have a consistant work environment. Is that possible, or would I have to put their homes on floppy, and then remote mount their homes in the .login on the floppy?

Similar Threads

  1. Uploading directories using ftp, sftp or scp?
    By nicorelli in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 05:32 PM
  2. Need help with directories & files
    By Ezor in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:26 PM
  3. Directories that need RW
    By davidc in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 08:15 PM
  4. /etc/rc directories
    By Alexxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 11:37 AM
  5. Moving directories to their own partitions
    By bxb32001 in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-12-2003, 08:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL380/DL360 Gen9 (P89) P89_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL380/DL360 Gen9 (P89) P89_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$37.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM picture

New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM

$19.95



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99