Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The kernel... Can I build my own?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4

    The kernel... Can I build my own?

    I just installed Knoppix 3.7 to my Hard Drive. Its running good, but I'm some issues....

    If I boot with the default configuration, I can use my TV card (a hauppage winTV card). However, I cannot for the life of me get my Audigy to work.
    I get the error "The module for your sound card, emu10k1.o, is not currently in your module search path". I'm pretty damn sure its in there, though. I looked.

    But If I boot with the 2.6 kernel, the opposite is true, The Audigy is autodetected and used. But the TV card won't work. The channel scan always fails, even though I select the same configuration...

    So, I'm wondering what I can do. This may very well become my main OS if I can get this little kink worked out.

    It seems to me that the complete kernel sources are not included in the KNoppix HD install. Can I build a new kernel and install it? Does anyone have a link to instructions on how to do this that applies to Knoppix?

    Any help will be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    42

    Re: The kernel... Can I build my own?

    Quote Originally Posted by kevman
    Can I build a new kernel and install it? Does anyone have a link to instructions on how to do this that applies to Knoppix?
    Yes and yes.

    Here's one: http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm

    Knoppix is based on debian, so there should be no problems.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4
    I followed those instructions to the letter, but once I got to make xconfig, I hit this error:
    Code:
    root@kevinsLINUX:/usr/src/linux# make xconfig
      HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
                     from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
                     from /usr/include/arpa/inet.h:23,
                     from scripts/basic/fixdep.c:115:
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
    Any ideas on what I should do now?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Try with: apt-get install linux-kernel-headers

    Did you also check the packages mentioned there as required?:
    binutils
    e2fsprogs
    gcc (GNU C Compiler)
    make (GNU make)
    module-init-tools
    procps
    util-linux

  5. #5
    I had same make problem this weekend, I had to add a symbolic link to the "asm-i386" directory in the /usr/src directory named "asm", a link to the /usr/src/linux folder did not work. I kept terrible notes and am at work now. A simple drag-n-drop from source folder, copy as link with a rename should work.

    Once done, it took my Celeron 433 about 3 hours to complete.

    No claims to ability or knowledge!

  6. #6
    Minor info update

    refer to http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/4/4/83 about this topic

    I checked what worked for me... assuming that you have a link to the kernel source location called linux

    ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 /usr/src/linux/asm

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1
    The same problem here!
    Actually problem starts when we make a symbolic link to our new kernel source directory.
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.14.2 /usr/src/linux
    After doing this, make won't find kernel header files in /usr/src/linux/include/asm directory. So the solution to my problem was:
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.14.2/include/asm-i386 /usr/src/linux-2.6.14.2/include/asm
    And it works now!

    Now what i wonder is here: According to this solution the make process uses new source kernel header files( in /usr/src/linux-2.6.14.2/include/asm). Is it the right way or it should use the original kernel header files in /usr/scr/linux-2.6.12/include/asm

Similar Threads

  1. How to build a Debian kernel
    By mzilikazi in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 04:00 PM
  2. Learning to build kernel
    By BillS in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 03:16 PM
  3. how to build cloop with kernel 2.6
    By Alvis in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 07:13 AM
  4. Kernel Build with kernel-source-2.4.20-xfs:
    By TheCyberDude in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2003, 03:10 PM
  5. Kernel Build with linux-2.4.20:
    By TheCyberDude in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2003, 03:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$175.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$22.99



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI) picture

HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)

$359.00