Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Probelms with ISO file

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4

    Probelms with ISO file

    Hi, I've dloaded the ISO file of v. 3.7 of Knoppix. Trying to put it into a CD ROM using DAemon Tools I've discovered that the ISO file is 45 MB too large for a 700 MB CD. What is the solution?

    Thanks all

    ziocalepino

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Probelms with ISO file

    Quote Originally Posted by ziocalepino
    Hi, I've dloaded the ISO file of v. 3.7 of Knoppix. Trying to put it into a CD ROM using DAemon Tools I've discovered that the ISO file is 45 MB too large for a 700 MB CD. What is the solution?
    Did you run an MD5 check on this ISO file?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    42

    Re: Probelms with ISO file

    You'll have to burn it as an image (search for 'burn image-file' or something like that in the menu). Just burning the isofile on the CD won't work (even if if would fit).

    And, like Harry Kuhman already said, check the md5sum.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Probelms with ISO file

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumo
    You'll have to burn it as an image (search for 'burn image-file' or something like that in the menu). Just burning the isofile on the CD won't work (even if if would fit).

    And, like Harry Kuhman already said, check the md5sum.
    Actually, something is very wrong with that supposed size, there is no way that the correct iso is as big as he says. Thus the first step is what it always should be, check the md5 sum. There are some other issues too, if you read his post you should spot what I'm talking about. But there was no point in getting into that until the md5 sum was checked, so I didn't get into discussions of iso burning.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4
    Once I've put the ISO file as it is into a CD how can I setup Knoppix? ISO is not an executable application!

    z.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    If you have Nero CD burn utility then these pages should help http://www.rocketfodder.pwp.blueyond...Nero_page1.htm and http://www.rocketfodder.pwp.blueyond...Nero_page2.htm.

    After the successful burn, download a free PDF book about knoppix here http://www.pjls16812.pwp.blueyonder....pix/index.html.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by ziocalepino
    Once I've put the ISO file as it is into a CD how can I setup Knoppix? ISO is not an executable application!
    I asked one very simple straight forwrd question that you couldn't be bothered to answer, but instead you want a tutorial about all the things that you are doing wrong (and several are obvious already)? There is no point in even trying to provide all of the information that you are going to need if you will not work with us to answer simple questions, and if your first post is to be believed your ISO file is bad.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4
    About the last reply.... I've dloaded ISO file from an offcial ftp mirror. It IS bigger than 700 MB, I really cannot know if this is or not correct, understood? Your question cuold be stright, mine is too! And excuse me if I'm not mr. Thorvalds, I'ma a simply beginner and because of this I CAN do silly (in your opinion) questions. OK boy?

    Thanks in any case for the useful links, surely useful.

    bye

    z.

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by ziocalepino
    .... Your question cuold be stright, mine is too! And excuse me if I'm not mr. Thorvalds, I'ma a simply beginner and because of this I CAN do silly (in your opinion) questions. OK boy?

    Thanks in any case for the useful links, surely useful.
    I've taken a lot of time to help a lot of beginners here. I was trying to do the same with you. And while I have a pretty extensive computer background, I consider myself a Linux newbiee too.

    I asked one very straight forward question (even restraining from saying anything else to not distract from the question, although there are more things that you need to know):
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Did you run an MD5 check on this ISO file?
    I could give you the exact byte size of the Knoppix 3.7 English iso file, I have it right in front of me, that that wouldn't acomplish nearly as much as knowing one way or another if your file was both the right size and not corrupt. And it certainly wouldn't help you the next time that you download a file and don't check the md5 sum either. There is an MD5 file on the mirror right next to the iso. You want links, there are links right at the top of the page that link to DOCUMENTATION including a Downloading FAQ that will tell you how to download both the ISO and the MD5 file and how to check it. If you didn't know what I was talking about in my first post and were too lazy to do a simple Google search, you could have asked in your second post rather than completely ignoring the effort to help you, or in your third post rather than calling me boy, or you could have used the search feature on the top of the forum pages to search knoppix.net for discussion of the term; it has been discussed by many people in great detail to help many others here, and perhaps it would be better to read those posts than call people names and expect them to rewrite all of the information again just for you.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4
    Well, I've won my gigantic laziness and contolled MD5. Comparing the string obtained with the one written on the .md5 file dloaded from the same ftp mirror site, they are the same. And now? ISO file still remains too large for a 700 MB CD.

    ciao

    z.

    P.S.: I really couldn't suspect that "boy" is a bad word in english... I must remember this when I'll go in USA this summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Minor Text File Problem, Transfer file in ASCII
    By bonkas in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 11:07 AM
  2. File recovery / File permissions help needed?
    By sepekte in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 07:25 PM
  4. application installation probelms
    By mayhammer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 03:00 PM
  5. probelms with netgear ma101 wireless usb-adapter
    By ballermann in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$144.98



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 32GB No GPU/ HDD/ OS DISCOUNTED picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 32GB No GPU/ HDD/ OS DISCOUNTED

$363.94



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00