Hello,
I just bought a MSI MS-8216 DVD-ROM and installed it as IDE1, master. It is detected by the bios (which only allows to boot from CD-ROM, as it's older), but you cannot boot a DVD from it. When trying to boot a Knoppix CD-ROM (I tried Knoppix 3.3, 3.4, 3.6 and 3.7) on that drive, the boot process freezes during the AGP detection step. Before, I had a Toshiba CD-ROM where the DVD-ROM is now and all mentioned Knoppixes worked well!
Furthermore, I have Knoppix 3.3 on HDD. When I boot that and try to mount the DVD, it works only when I try to read CDs, but not with DVDs. Note: The DVD I used for testing runs nicely on different PCs, hence it is not corrupt.
What shall I do?
Thanks & greetings,
Oli

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$354.48
Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95
$119.99
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99
HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95
$89.99