-
Junior Member
registered user
Has anyone tried this? - fixed /boot for reload
I am thinking of setting my Knoppix system to boot off of Grub in a /boot partition.
What I plan to do is setup a /boot partition on my HD with all the Grub conf et cetera in it. Of course, when I reload a new Knoppix CD sometime in the future the /boot partition with Grub will not get mapped in fstab. If I don't set the MBR with lilo, I expect not to mess up my Grub MBR boot. I will have to boot from a floppy or CD the first time while I change the fstab on the HD so that everything comes up ok. And fix the /boot directory that Knoppix sets in the fs. Is my thinking right? Once Grub is setup the first time everything looks straight-forward after that. I will add the new kernel stuff and modules as it becomes available.
This will allow me to keep the partition without it getting overwritten by lilo each time I reload a new version of Knoppix. I like some systems to play with and others for production!
At first, I was a little put off with the lack of being able to load into multiple partitions during the install of Knoppix, but I am seeing that this is not totally bad.
Similar Threads
-
By RT in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-26-2004, 09:18 AM
-
By MillTek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-15-2004, 06:03 AM
-
By brinstar117 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2004, 01:46 AM
-
By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-16-2004, 11:09 PM
-
By heathenx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-18-2003, 01:11 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Retro 16-bit miroSOUND FM10 Sound Card Yamaha OPL 3 FM-Synthesizer NEW
$449.00

Vintage Memorex Telex 122-Key AT Terminal Keyboard 96550264
$100.00

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo
$299.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Vintage Apple Super Serial Interface card ll-apple ll llplus lle 670-8020-A 1981
$99.00

Vintage Tei Inc 1977 CPU Assembly 13260 Circuit Board
$145.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh System 7 OS Software 8 Floppy Disks Manuals Original
$99.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard
$249.95

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s
$169.99