Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Completely Remove KDE

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4

    Completely Remove KDE

    Hello all. I'm working on remasteriing Knoppix (as everyone else here is), and I wanted to use Fluxbox exclusively to the point that I don't even need KDE on the disk. Nothing personal about KDE, I just spend most of the time in the console anyway, so a glitzy window manager is overkill. Does anyone know the best way to remove KDE? I tried an apt-get remove, but that goes one package at a time, and "apt-get remove kde*" throws warnings about the stupidity of running that task. I appreciate the help.

    //er

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12

    Remove KDE

    I've bin searching about a week now for the solution to this problem
    I want also just fluxbox in my knoppix but haven't found it, yet!

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12

    Found something

    I didn't tried it yet, but gone do that tomorrow.

    apt-get --purge remove kdelibs4 libarts1

    that is what I found if you use kde 3.1 like knoppix 3.6 3.7

    when you start your x desktop a file called .xinitrc i guess there is that you want to change somthing to make fluxbox the default desktop manager

    I let you know somthing when I tried it

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12

    pfffff, lol

    I've tried first
    apt-get --purge remove kdelibs4 libarts1
    This complety removes KDE, but when I restart my pc he doesn't start hardware detection anymore,
    I think knoppix depends on some files from kde but i'm not sure.

    Sorry, i'm gone search some more about this topic.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12

    fluxbox depends on kde

    I've talked to someone on mirc today and he says that fluxbox depends on kde, that's why I can't delete it without having some trouble.
    If anyone doesn't agree with this please let us now.
    Thnx

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    uuuh, how come i have fluxbox but no KDE on one of my computers then?? something might be shared but...

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12

    How did you do it?

    Hi, I'm glad I know now that it is possible, can you explain how you did it?
    thnx

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i installed Debian, sorry, no live CD.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Try This

    What you want to do is what I accidentally did.

    I wanted to remove some programs as my partition was 96% full. I thought some the development software would be good as I would never use that.

    I did: apt-get remove python --purge

    It did not remove python but did remove a lot of other packages including KDE. If I had been paying more attention I would have noticed what was happening.

    It's currently down to a bare bone OS. Is that what you want? I don't even have a way to get on the internet now. I can load the GUI XDM from the command line after it boots as a pure Debian installation. Arrrgh!!!

    I had made a backup to an image file last week. Now I have to see if I can restore this thing.

    sakiZ

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    42
    Fluxbox does not depend on KDE, though it is possible to start KDE-applications under fluxbox - if KDE is installed. You can even start klipper (the KDE-taskbar).

    There are some great KDE-applications. I like fluxbox but not without amaroK (just an example). So think about this before you decide against KDE

Similar Threads

  1. Use powerbutton to poweroff completely your pc.
    By ktheking in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-29-2005, 05:44 PM
  2. Knoppix 4.0.2 won't boot completely
    By kipi25 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 06:08 AM
  3. removing X completely
    By florin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 02:11 AM
  4. Computer does not completely shut down
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 08:34 PM
  5. terminal completely scrambled
    By thomasberi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 03:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00