Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: more problems with locales, help!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4

    more problems with locales, help!

    Hello,
    I'm new to the whole forum thing so I apolozige in advance if I'm doing something wrong or asking the wrong group... anyway here is my problem

    I have installed Knoppix 3.2 on my sony laptop pcg-grv680 after having problems with RedHat 8.0 & 7.3 and it seems to work great! with a few minor exceptions... this one here being the big problem

    I had a problem installing locales and tried several of the suggestions I read here including editing the /etc/locale.gen file. I tried to remove it too... I don't know when the actual problem I'm have now started but basically when I try to add a package it starts

    Setting up locales (2.3.1-16) ...
    Generating locales...
    en_US.ISO-8859-1...

    But it hangs here... It uses 99% of cpu and after several minutes I typed <cntr> C to stop it. I can't seem to configure it or remove it or install it or anything... Anyone know what I can do to fix or atleast get back to the problem where it does not work but does not hang forever? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    What does the following command output?

    dpkg -l | grep locales

    my debian woody system gives:

    ii locales 2.2.5-11.2 GNU C Library: National Language (locale) da
    note ii which basically means it's installed and configured correctly

    Have you tried:

    dpkg --configure -a

    which will configure all non-configured packages.

    HTH

    rock

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4
    dpkg -l | grep locales give me this

    iF locales 2.3.1-16 GNU C Library: National Language (locale) da

    if I type dpkg --configure -a I get this

    root@walla123:/etc# dpkg --configure -a
    Setting up locales (2.3.1-16) ...
    Generating locales...
    en_US.ISO-8859-1...

    and that is where is sits.... forever.....

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    forever? what kind of processor (how fast of a machine?)

    It takes quite a while to make the locales.

    have you tried:

    apt-get remove locales

    that should only remove the one package.

    rock

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4
    okay, perhaps forever is a bit of an strech but this is a new 2.6 GHz machine and 7 mins of 99% cpu usage without any change is what I considered it hanging. Before when I was installing other stuff it would take about 1 min to get through about 30 different "en_US.ISO" things and then it would crash. Now it stops on the first one.

    when I type this apt-get remove locales
    I get
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    j2re1.3 limewire locales
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 29 not upgraded.
    3 packages not fully installed or removed.
    and then I said yes and they were gone.
    But if I want to do apt-get install limewire
    It starts over and gets locales and were back to were back to the begining.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    You could always install from source- (it worked well for me anyway)if you get installed and working let me know because I can't get the software to connect to anything- tried the host list and a few other things.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4
    okay, I've gotten the source I think....

    apt-get source locales
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Need to get 14.5MB of source archives.
    Get:1 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main glibc 2.3.1-16 (dsc) [1573B]
    Get:2 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main glibc 2.3.1-16 (tar) [12.8MB]
    Get:3 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main glibc 2.3.1-16 (diff) [1685kB]
    Fetched 14.5MB in 34s (415kB/s)
    dpkg-source: extracting glibc in glibc-2.3.1

    but what do I do to install?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Yesterday I did an apt-get upgrade on my 3.1 hd install and dpkg also exited with an error on locales, it's probably a debian problem.

    I did a dpkg --configure -a and now I think I have everything but locales configured.

    rock

Similar Threads

  1. locales
    By TimWhite in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 02:17 PM
  2. damn locales!
    By mschievano in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 05:21 PM
  3. troubles with locales
    By macherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 08:21 AM
  4. locales in knoppix
    By datakid in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2003, 05:44 AM
  5. apt-get building maaany locales...
    By maltta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 02:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF picture

AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF

$215.00



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



AS IS Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF picture

AS IS Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF

$410.00