Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Need Serious Help Installing

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    ARRRRRGHHH

    OMFG i cant take it, I tried changing my settings in nero so it wont overburn and it burned the CD but when i run it it get 94% through Copying Files and then i get tons of those errors i mentioned before. I did the MD5checksum and its the same!!!!!! I NEED HELP PLEASE BEFORE I GO CRAZY.

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    MY setup

    Ok im gonna try to solve this... ill tell u everything i've done

    Made Boot Partition
    Made Swap partition of 300MB
    Made Root of 4GB(etx2)
    I currently have nothing on the HD now so i dont want to dual boot, i just want Knoppix to start up
    Downloaded ISO from Knopper.net
    Ran the checksum for the iso and got the same number as in the FTP
    Went into Nero Ultra 6
    turned off Overburn(so it wont burn unless the iso can fit on the disk)
    Ran at 48X
    I load the boot disk(which boots perfectly)
    I press Ctrl+alt+F1
    I type Knoppix-Installer
    then it takes me to the installer
    I goto new Configuration
    Choose my Root Partition
    Choose Beginner Install
    Set user name and all that crap
    Goto install
    Copying of files gets to 94% and then it starts shooting out error messages....

    Does anyone have any idea where i went wrong

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    please

    Can someone please help me figure out whats causing this problem?

  4. #14
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: MY setup

    Quote Originally Posted by le91688
    Ok im gonna try to solve this... ill tell u everything i've done

    Made Boot Partition
    Made Swap partition of 300MB
    Made Root of 4GB(etx2)
    I currently have nothing on the HD now so i dont want to dual boot, i just want Knoppix to start up
    Downloaded ISO from Knopper.net
    Ran the checksum for the iso and got the same number as in the FTP
    Went into Nero Ultra 6
    turned off Overburn(so it wont burn unless the iso can fit on the disk)
    Ran at 48X
    I load the boot disk(which boots perfectly)
    I press Ctrl+alt+F1
    I type Knoppix-Installer
    then it takes me to the installer
    I goto new Configuration
    Choose my Root Partition
    Choose Beginner Install
    Set user name and all that crap
    Goto install
    Copying of files gets to 94% and then it starts shooting out error messages....

    Does anyone have any idea where i went wrong
    People frequently have probems with disks burnt this fast. I would burn a disk at 4x (or even reburn to CDRW to avoid wasting a disk). You needed to finalize the disk because when you do not finalize, the burning process writes additional information for the next session; while all of Knoppix would fit on the CD without overburn, the next session information would not. You might also try the nodma cheat code. Beyond this I believe the gods try to punish people for installing Knoppix to hard disk, have never done so, and can't give any other information.

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    nodma?

    Whats noDMA b/c the error i get is something to do with DMA timeout or something.
    As for burning:
    what should my settings in Nero be?
    Im gonna give it another shot tonite.

  6. #16
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: nodma?

    Quote Originally Posted by le91688
    Whats noDMA b/c the error i get is something to do with DMA timeout or something.
    As for burning:
    what should my settings in Nero be?
    Im gonna give it another shot tonite.
    Different versions of Nero unfortuanately differ somewhat, but in general you need to open the ISO (you seem to have that part right or you would not have got this far), burn the CD at 4x (or slower) speed, burn it as a single session (finalize the disk, do not leave it open for more to be written to the disk). I like to make sure that I burn it as "disk at once" rather than "track ar once" but this shouldn't matter as you will only be writing one track anyway. You should not need to use overburn so you should not be asked (be sure you use a 700 meg CD and not a 650 meg one).

    The nodma (not noDMA) cheat code turns off DMA (direct memory access) for the drive. I have seen some problems with some older drives that could not work right with DMA (which is now on by default in recent versions of Knoppix). When you boot you get a boot prompt. It goes away in a couple of seconds if you do nothing. At this prompt type knoppix nodma or knoppix26 nodma or type the F2 function key to see more information on cheat codes (what you see with f2 and f3 is not complete, however).

    Just a suggestion, but sometimes when there is an error message it helps to note what it is exactly when asking for assistance, rather than not mentioning it and only later saying "the error i get is something to do with DMA timeout or something".

  7. #17
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    ..

    The error has something to do with ATAPI reset and DMA timeout i think... Ill tell ya exzactly what it says when i try again tonite.
    I downloaded 3.7 and used Checksum and am currently burning it at 4x with nero...
    I let ya know how i make out.

    Thanks for all your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE

$189.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



HP Samsung PM871b 2.5 SATA SSD 256GB Solid state drive picture

HP Samsung PM871b 2.5 SATA SSD 256GB Solid state drive

$29.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99