Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Partition Filesystem

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19

    Partition Filesystem

    I was wondering if I can partition 1 hard drive into two partitions. Here's the catch though... can I make one partition NTFS and the other VFAT? The reason I ask is because I want to create a dual boot without having to reformat my drive (I'm currently running Windows XP Pro with NTFS filesystem. ). Also how much space should I reserve for Knoppix? for Fedora?

    I ask because I'm not sure if I should install Knoppix to HDD or Fedora. Any suggestions?

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Partition Filesystem

    Quote Originally Posted by bsaber
    I was wondering if I can partition 1 hard drive into two partitions. Here's the catch though... can I make one partition NTFS and the other VFAT? The reason I ask is because I want to create a dual boot without having to reformat my drive (I'm currently running Windows XP Pro with NTFS filesystem. ). Also how much space should I reserve for Knoppix? for Fedora?

    I ask because I'm not sure if I should install Knoppix to HDD or Fedora. Any suggestions?
    My notebook came with 1 NTFS partition and XP home. One of the first things I did on it (before I filled up the disk) was to shrink th NTFS partition and make a FAT patrtition in the remaining space. I wanted a place that I could write files for Knoppix while I ran from CD. Works fine. Installing Knoppix to HD might be a different matter though, so don't take my positive response about mixing NTFS and FAT as an endorsement to Install Knoppix to HD.

    For that matter, XP does not need any NTFS partitions (although it depends on them if you want the "security" features for multiple users). Some users would be far better off installing Xp with a FAT partition rather than an NTFS partition.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19
    What program did you use to shrink the NTFS partition and create the FAT partition?

    Thanks for your help.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I used a commercial program that I own to do this, but there are many free programs that will do it too. I also made a backup of the entire partition (across my network to another computer) before I did this, just in case the shrinking went bad. And had a plan on how I could recover that backup, if needed, to the notebook again, even if it had no OS on it. This was by far the harder thing than shrinking the partition, but I consider it a very important step. If you have a good backup then I would not hesitate to use any of the shrinking solutions (there has been a lot of discussion on these forums about partition shrinking lately, just look for it), without a backup you need to think about what you'll do when it goes wrong.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19
    I was just wondering out of curiousity if its possible to make a triple boot system running Windows XP Pro, Knoppix, and Fedora.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    sure.
    shrink tha current poartitions, make new partition/s and install there,
    then it is just a matter of just avoiding installing a bootloader (or install it to / on THAT install).
    then add a new entry in the already used bootloader.
    worst case you MIGHT trash the partition scheme or loose data (resising is NEVER fullproof) and you may have to edit the old bootloader conf via a booted knoppix and perhaps reinstall the bootloader but...

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaber
    I was just wondering out of curiousity if its possible to make a triple boot system running Windows XP Pro, Knoppix, and Fedora.
    Absolutely. I've even had multiple copies of Windows as well as Linux on one drive. You might want to research XOSL and/or Smart Boot Manager a liitle, they are great for this type of thing.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19
    Thanks for all the assistance. I truely appreciate it.

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    As an extreme example of what can be done with XOSL you might find this interesting: http://www.maximumpc.com/features/fe...002-09-24.html
    A teenager had 37 different operating systems booting from one PC.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19
    Dang... that's just over kill. But quite interesting.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 03:34 PM
  2. Copy data from one partition to the other partition
    By bono in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
  3. Filesystem problem ....
    By Victis in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 12:55 PM
  4. compressed filesystem?
    By rex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 04:17 AM
  5. Remounting filesystem
    By WANDr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 5 16IRL8 16in Core i5 8GB 512GB SSD Win11 Blue picture

Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 5 16IRL8 16in Core i5 8GB 512GB SSD Win11 Blue

$240.00



Dell Latitude 3390 2-in-1 13.3

Dell Latitude 3390 2-in-1 13.3" Touchscreen i3 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 10 Pro

$120.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675) picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)

$123.16



Dell Latitude 7480  Intel Core I5-6300u 2.40GHZ 8GB 256GB  Touch WCam W11 Cord picture

Dell Latitude 7480 Intel Core I5-6300u 2.40GHZ 8GB 256GB Touch WCam W11 Cord

$85.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor…. picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….

$309.99



Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW picture

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW

$225.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$175.00