how do you set it ?
I am running knoppix 3.1. Everything runs fine except for the wireless netwerkcard (Orinoco Gold). I runs well when WEP is disabled, but when I enter a key for WEP, then I cannot reach the access point anymore. Anyone any ideas?
Ton
how do you set it ?
I can set the WEP key from the KDE menu (I am not sure about the exact name, something Knoppix, Config, Network), there is an entry for network config and wireless config. In both entries one of the questions is to enter a WEP key (or blank for no key).
Is there an other way to set the WEP key?
I use the KNOPPIX->network config(or something like that) on the KDE desktop.
make sure your key is entered in the correct format "sxxxx" where xxxxxx is the 40bit code as you would have entered in Window.
I have just it without the 's:' prefix. I will try this tonight. Where does the s stand for, and are there any other options?
I don't know why the wireless package author design it that way but that is how it must be entered. Without the "s:" prefix, it just doesn't work.
Linux still needs lots of polishing before it can be considered as the alternative on average desktop.
The 's:' prefix does not help, I still cannot connect to the access point. My access point has 128 bit WEP key. You mentioned a 40 bit key. Can I use a 128 bit key?
I can't speak to the Orinoco card, but I use 'wlcardconfig' to configure my Cisco wlan card. I have 128bit WEP configured on my AP and I simply enter the hex digits in the Key box (without the usual 0x for hex).
I'm not sure if the 's:' is something specific to the orinoco driver, but I've not seen that before.
I got WEP finally working with my D-Link DWL-650 PCMCIA card and Knoppix v3.2 using a 64 bit key. I entered it using the "Wavelan Configuration" (Under "Knoppix -> Network/Internet) at the "Enter the Encryption key" window. I found that the format XX:XX:XX:XX:XX worked and not XXXXXXXXXX. I think to enter a 128 bit key you would just follow the same pattern for all the digits.Originally Posted by tslewe
Hope it helps.
I use the same "Knoppix -> Network/Internet/Wavelan Configuration: Enter the Encryption key" window to enter the WEP key. Although I first have to configure the network card (In the same menu), before I can access the wireless card.
I found out that the s: prefix can be used to specify a string (0-9, A-Z), otherwise hex digits (0-9, A-F) are expected. In the manual pages I also found a format like XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX for entering a key. I will try your solution tonight, and will also try a 64 bit key (instead of the 128 bit key I have tried until now).

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$334.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99
LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD
$245.00
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U 32GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro
$500.00
Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$249.99