-
Junior Member
registered user
Windows apps on knoppix
Hi i have had knoppix for a couple months but i cant use it all that much because all the work i have to do is done on window applications. I know that you can run winows apps one macs with virtual pc but i was woundering if her is some thing like that for knoppix or outher linuk.
thanks for the help
-
Have you tried Wine?
Wine is -not- a Windows emulator, it runs Windows apps in native mode, so it may take some effort to get the applications to run. I'm a Linux newbie and have Knoppix 3.7. I tried running every Windows app on my system the other day: only 3 or 4 ran well, and unfortunately they were not apps I use alot. I suspect that if I spend some time and set things up properly (copying .dll files to the "fake Windows directory", etc.) I may be able to get more applications to work.
Cedega and Crossover Office are commercial versions of Wine, and although not free, are not expensive either.
Paul
-
Senior Member
registered user
Depending on what type of work you are doing, you may find a suitable linux aplternative. OpenOffice will work with MS Word, Excel & Powerpoint formats. There is no direct replacement for MS Access or professional level CAD programs.
Similar Threads
-
By dvryknopper in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-31-2006, 05:56 AM
-
By merrik in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:38 PM
-
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-10-2005, 05:29 PM
-
By lilsirecho in forum Klik
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-12-2005, 06:21 PM
-
By Kevin Cannon in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

💾 External Floppy Drive for Commodore Amiga, California Access CA-880
$89.00

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ
$329.00

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On
$100.00

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000
$249.00

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested
$225.00

HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit
$888.50

BlueSCSI v2 Internal 50-pin 3.5" SCSI Drive ,Wi-Fi,For Macintosh, Amiga, PC
$52.99

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500
$50.00

ALS Storage Box with Assorted Amiga Format 3.5" Floppy Disks
$199.00