-
installing rpm packages using apt
I have looked high and low, found pieces but nothing comprehensive about installing rpm's using apt. I am familiar with rpm but not apt. I decided to install Knoppix 3.7 on my hard drive. All went well with the install and I am quite impressed thus far. There is a major, but very pleasant, difference in apt as opposed to rpm. It may be because I don't know where to go yet for apt based packages, i.e. rpmfind, so I may be looking in all the wrong places. Specifically, i have found a small application that I would like to try out but it is only in rpm format. So what I get thus far is I can use alien to convert the rpm to a deb. Then I 'THINK?' I have to alter the apt sources file for apt to include a directory on my local hard drive. Then, if I understand this correctly, I can apt-get the alien converted package(being careful to put it in my sources listed local directory) and it will find it becuse I have altered the apt config to look locally for packages. Is this normal usage for apt/knoppix. I don't see a command line option for apt-get install to tell it to look locally.
My apologies if this is addressed in another thread, I have looked but I can't find it.
Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By knithx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-27-2006, 09:26 PM
-
By HewJass in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-20-2005, 04:34 AM
-
By ktheking in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-21-2003, 04:20 PM
-
By pankajgadhari in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-19-2003, 04:33 PM
-
By gtgoku in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys
$549.95