View Poll Results: Anyone have success coexisting with WINDOZE?
- Voters
- 7. You may not vote on this poll
-
yes, but I nuked the WINDOZE partition
-
yes, I had no problem
-
no, I'm scared of repartitioning my HD
-
no, my better half will implode
-
Senior Member
registered user
CoExisting with WINDOZE
OK, before you guys start flaming me, this is my better half's PC with a winmodem! She'll die if I get rid of WINDOZE....
Anyway, I ran knx-hdinstall and managed to kill the WINDOZE partition when trying to make new linux and linux swap partitions with cfdisk.
Question 1: Is there some way to repartition a HD to install KNOPPIX without killing the currently installed WINDOZE (single partition of whole drive)?
Also, I reinstalled everything as follows:
hda1 WIN FAT32 3000KB
hda2 linux swap 256KB
hda3 linux rest of drive.
I reinstalled WINDOZE and had it working before reinstalling KNOPPIX. Now I can't boot into WINDOZE. Only KNOPPIX shows up on the dual boot screen.
Question 2:How do I undo this? Is it an MBR problem? Now I have a great Debian install on the HD, but cannot boot WINDOZE! Should I not have used one of the last knx-hdinstall options for the MBR dual boot? Could I have used a boot disk to boot the Debian install on the HD when I want and just boot to WINDOZE otherwise?
Thanx,
-
Don't panic ...
Don't panic there is a nice solution for this problem:
- Start debian
- Edit /etc/lilo.conf as root (Using vi or joe, or whatever you like)
Add:
other=/dev/hda1
label=Windows
table=/dev/hda
to the end of it ...
Start
lilo
(also as root)
Reboot and boot your Windows by selectiing it from the menu ...
cu
Fabian
-
use "parted" or "nparted" (the later with a simpler interface) to repartition the drive. this works well with FAT partitions, NTFS beeing a problem.
Otherwise use one of the commercial partition mannagers to free some space on the disk.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Is "parted" freeware? I understand that the commercial program partitionmagic works well for this. I'd like to stick to open source or freeware.
Thanx, Fabian, I tried your fix and everything works fine!
Regards,
-
Co-existing with windows
I used Partition Magic 5.0 in Win98 to partition first. No problems on install. Installed knoppix on hda 2 and had it boot from there also. Used Boot Magic as boot manager.
Only problem. I still can't get on the net using any type of linux since I reinstalled windoze. I have to wonder how this is possible.
I think the problem is in the eth0 setup.
Does anyone know how to put eth0 into 10 half duplex mode?
Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By Jameson in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-22-2004, 06:05 PM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-30-2004, 01:40 PM
-
By phaedral in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-13-2004, 11:40 PM
-
By duah55 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:56 PM
-
By shadoman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 12-01-2003, 09:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L380 13.3” Touchscreen Laptop Core i3 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$199.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 Laptop 14" FHD Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$289.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...
$349.99

Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6"
$200.00

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$277.00