View Poll Results: Anyone have success coexisting with WINDOZE?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, but I nuked the WINDOZE partition

    2 28.57%
  • yes, I had no problem

    4 57.14%
  • no, I'm scared of repartitioning my HD

    1 14.29%
  • no, my better half will implode

    0 0%
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: CoExisting with WINDOZE

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    CoExisting with WINDOZE

    OK, before you guys start flaming me, this is my better half's PC with a winmodem! She'll die if I get rid of WINDOZE....

    Anyway, I ran knx-hdinstall and managed to kill the WINDOZE partition when trying to make new linux and linux swap partitions with cfdisk.

    Question 1: Is there some way to repartition a HD to install KNOPPIX without killing the currently installed WINDOZE (single partition of whole drive)?

    Also, I reinstalled everything as follows:
    hda1 WIN FAT32 3000KB
    hda2 linux swap 256KB
    hda3 linux rest of drive.
    I reinstalled WINDOZE and had it working before reinstalling KNOPPIX. Now I can't boot into WINDOZE. Only KNOPPIX shows up on the dual boot screen.

    Question 2:How do I undo this? Is it an MBR problem? Now I have a great Debian install on the HD, but cannot boot WINDOZE! Should I not have used one of the last knx-hdinstall options for the MBR dual boot? Could I have used a boot disk to boot the Debian install on the HD when I want and just boot to WINDOZE otherwise?

    Thanx,

  2. #2
    Fabian
    Guest

    Don't panic ...

    Don't panic there is a nice solution for this problem:

    - Start debian

    - Edit /etc/lilo.conf as root (Using vi or joe, or whatever you like)

    Add:

    other=/dev/hda1
    label=Windows
    table=/dev/hda

    to the end of it ...

    Start

    lilo

    (also as root)

    Reboot and boot your Windows by selectiing it from the menu ...

    cu

    Fabian

  3. #3
    chris
    Guest
    use "parted" or "nparted" (the later with a simpler interface) to repartition the drive. this works well with FAT partitions, NTFS beeing a problem.

    Otherwise use one of the commercial partition mannagers to free some space on the disk.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Is "parted" freeware? I understand that the commercial program partitionmagic works well for this. I'd like to stick to open source or freeware.

    Thanx, Fabian, I tried your fix and everything works fine!

    Regards,

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    93

    Co-existing with windows

    I used Partition Magic 5.0 in Win98 to partition first. No problems on install. Installed knoppix on hda 2 and had it boot from there also. Used Boot Magic as boot manager.

    Only problem. I still can't get on the net using any type of linux since I reinstalled windoze. I have to wonder how this is possible.

    I think the problem is in the eth0 setup.

    Does anyone know how to put eth0 into 10 half duplex mode?

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Printer on Windoze Workgroup Workstation
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 06:05 PM
  2. migrating from Windoze...need some advise
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 01:40 PM
  3. dual-boot knoppix rhe3 (no windoze!)
    By phaedral in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 11:40 PM
  4. to use QtParted to re partition a drive with windoze
    By duah55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:56 PM
  5. multi Linux system /w Windoze
    By shadoman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 09:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE H610M S2H V2 Motherboard, Supports 14th/13th/12th Gen Intel Core i5 i7 picture

GIGABYTE H610M S2H V2 Motherboard, Supports 14th/13th/12th Gen Intel Core i5 i7

$69.59



GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD picture

GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD

$149.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



JINSHA B450M B450 AM4 MicroATX Motherboard DDR4 2DIMM M.2 W/ IO SHIELD picture

JINSHA B450M B450 AM4 MicroATX Motherboard DDR4 2DIMM M.2 W/ IO SHIELD

$53.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$71.49



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



MSI Z390M Mortar LGA1151 Intel Z390 DDR4 Dual M.2 USB3.1 MATX Motherboard picture

MSI Z390M Mortar LGA1151 Intel Z390 DDR4 Dual M.2 USB3.1 MATX Motherboard

$94.99