-
Junior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
You will need to use qtparted to carve out a space for knoppix.
In other words: partition your drive. I'm no expert in windows
but linux can't use NTFS. You will need to decide how much space you want to
give to the knoppix install and then what type of install you want to do.
Then there's the subject of dual booting search for grub or lilo.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Sorry my mistake, I am trying to run KNOPPIX from the CD.
Ajak,
-
Senior Member
registered user
You may need to experiment with the cheat codes to get
knoppix to boot. See: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Ajak
Sorry my mistake, I am trying to run KNOPPIX from the CD.
No, it wasn't your mistake, you stated that clearly in the first post, and any question asked about Knoppix that is not asked in the hd forum should be assumed to be asked about the Live CD.
I agree, cheat codes may be helpful, particularly nodma. You may also find that you need to burn the CD at a slow speed like 4x if you burned it faster (yea, I know, in theory your drive should burn disks at 48x or faster just fine, but a lot of people fianlly acknowledge that all they needed to do to get a CD to boot was burn it at 4x). And I certainly hope that you confirmed the md5 checksum of the iso file before burning it, to be sure that the download was not corrupt.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Yes I did burn at 4x & confirmed the md5 checksum, I don't think the download was corrupt, because I first bought the KNOPPIX 3.7 CD from http://www.cheeplinux.com/ & exactly the same thing happened.
I just bought an old PIII 500Mhz PC w 128MEG RAM & 8GB HDD. I am planning to install Debian Linux on it but first I will format the HDD with FAT16, run the KNOPPIX CD & see what happens.
Ajak.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Ajak
Yes I did burn at 4x & confirmed the md5 checksum, I don't think the download was corrupt, because....
If you checked the md5 sum then the download was absolutely not corrupt, no further logic needed.
Cheat codes should still help you boot, although finding the right codes for your particular situation can be perplexing.
-
There's a cheat code (testcd, I think) will verify the image on the cd. If that fails, the problem would be either the CD or the CD-ROM drive.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
Ajak
Sorry my mistake, I am trying to run KNOPPIX from the CD.
No, it wasn't your mistake, you stated that clearly in the first post, and any question asked about Knoppix that is not asked in the hd forum should be assumed to be asked about the Live CD.
I agree, cheat codes may be helpful, particularly nodma. You may also find that you need to burn the CD at a slow speed like 4x if you burned it faster (yea, I know, in theory your drive should burn disks at 48x or faster just fine, but a lot of people fianlly acknowledge that all they needed to do to get a CD to boot was burn it at 4x). And I certainly hope that you confirmed the md5 checksum of the iso file before burning it, to be sure that the download was not corrupt.
I don't remember seeing the live cd bit the 1st time I read the post & the post was edited!
-
Senior Member
registered user
i normaly burn cds at 24x ive never had no problem other then when i tryed to burn cd over a remote connection...
Similar Threads
-
By usepix in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-11-2006, 11:03 PM
-
By bgart5 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-15-2005, 12:18 PM
-
By mentalalien2002 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-01-2004, 01:09 AM
-
By gerjan in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-27-2004, 08:41 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 10-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US
$41.30